Another New User with a Problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Another New User with a Problem

Postby peterj on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Very impressed with MInt, first tried Ubunto a couple of weeks ago, which I liked but was having trouble with my network card, and could not get Ubunto to connect through my USB Wireless connection. Still had Windows running on another computer and stumbled upon Mint and read that it would recognize most hardware 'out of the box', and I found it easy to set up. Well done all.

Now my problem, when I have finished using and want to shut down I go through the usual routine and the system starts to close down, but then freezes leaving 'Bianca' and the mint symbol in the middle of the monitor, I have to then just switch off with the button on the PC. I have downloaded a second iso from a different source and installed that but it has made no difference.

I am using an IBM Aptiva with K6 450mhz processor and 322MB ram. could this be a problem? it worked alright with Ubunto and, dare I say it, with XP.
peterj
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Sorensei on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:49 pm

Welcome aboard!

Your problem seems related to the one on this thread:

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... down&t=626

Let us know if it solves your problem! :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby peterj on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks for your help Sorensei, I have tried it but unfortunately it has not worked, always assuming that I did everything correctly. I am not really confident using Terminal and a command line unless everything is put down in very simple terms, so that even someone who has never user a computer could follow the instructions. Still it is not the end of the world if I have to switch off manually, just a little inconvenient.

Regards
peterj
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:23 pm

IBM Aptiva with K6 450mhz processor and 322MB ram - that could have to do with anything :)
Have bad experience with aptivas of that era.
Unfortunately there are so many ads for old tin cans for sale when you search the web so a search is useless :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Power off doesn't

Postby bitbanger on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:54 pm

I used the following fix and the problem went away.

sudo gedit /etc/modules
add line: apm power_off=1
bitbanger
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics