Encrypted Xfce4 autologin error (saved with no password)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ppopopp75
Level 1
Level 1

Encrypted Xfce4 autologin error (saved with no password)

Post by ppopopp75 »

Hi there!

Made a bonehead mistake with my 17.2 Rafaela XFCE install. Went to users settings and clicked on autologin and saved without entering my current password. Upon reboot at the login gui when I would click on my username the login manager would try to automatically log me in, without success. I always get this

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp13 ... 160037.jpg

The thing is I have an encrypted home folder and am wondering if that might've had anything to do with the auto-login error.

I was mostly wondering when I went in Xfce4's Users>Settings and decided to auto-login which file was modified by the setting. I can go into the command-line and use vi to modify the file if I could only find it.

I tried logging in as root from the command-line and using startx, which automatically loads a bare-bones xfce4, but when I try to access the Users>Settings the window just keeps loading. Again, wondering if this is because my home folder is encrypted.

In a pickle and need expert help.

Thanks guys (and gals)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Encrypted Xfce4 autologin error (saved with no password)

Post by richyrich »

Try this from the terminal:

Code: Select all

gksu mdmsetup
ppopopp75
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Encrypted Xfce4 autologin error (saved with no password)

Post by ppopopp75 »

Thanks for the gksu mdmsetup command. Didn't know about that. Found a workaround to my problem. The problem is the encryption and setting autologin somehow screwed it up. the workaround is when you get to the GUI login to Ctrl+Alt to a TTY and login as your $USER, then issuing the command

ecryptfs-mount-private

Then you can go back to your graphical user interface login screen and login as per usual, without the bug I mentioned in the photobucket jpg.

The problem is you have to login like this every time and my previous settings have not been preserved, but all the files and programs are intact.

Anybody with a more permanent fix to suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Other topics”