Live CD & dialup

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Live CD & dialup

Postby petrus1928 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:53 am

Greetings from sunny queensland!
I'm responsible for running a couple of monthly meetings on behalf of the local computer club. I'd like to demo Bianca to show the members (mostly Windows users) just how far Linux has come in recent times.
The problem is that I only have access to a dialup connection at our meetings. The rub is how to best set up the live CD so as to be able to connect to the internet. I know about gnome-ppp, but this doesn't seem to be included in the live distro. My questions are:
1) Is it possible to install gnome-ppp on an ad hoc basis each time I run the CD?
2) Is their a way to set up a persistent home directory on a flash drive as knoppix does?
3) Will gnome-ppp be included in a future version of Mint?
I have downloaded the KDE version because it has Kppp, but I'd sooner use the gnome version of Bianca. Also, the KDE version needs a DVD, and not all members have a DVD-ROM.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.
Atheism demands much more faith than I can muster!
petrus1928
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby bef on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:55 am

To FnQ, from DsW:
If you ran Linux Mint of a USB like detailed here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... live&t=138
You could also have GnomePPP ready to install on the USB, I believe that would be a solution. Not sure if it's the best one though ;)
bef
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other topics