Advice for Linux(Mint) Compatible 11 -13" touch Laptops

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ramk

Advice for Linux(Mint) Compatible 11 -13" touch Laptops

Post by ramk »

Hi

Our office is looking to buy a decentish (500 US$) laptop,

Am making an edit in the processor requirements - am changing it from an "i" series to any decent intel processor - with a rider that says not android based systems
Our requirements are
11.5 to 12.5" screen -

Essential Features
[*]Touch Screen
[*]Regular intel processors
[*]Decent sized Hard disk (SSD may be a possibility)
[*]Ethernet port, VGA adapte
[*]*Must run Linux well - *essential*
[*] not android based

Possible other features
[*] Swell screen
One candidate is the Yoga 300 (available in india)

are there any others i should look at., if so what

Advice much welcome, personal experience would be valued

thank you
ram
PS - Edit - changed the Processor requirements from i gen to any regular intel processor- hope this brings in more info
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Advice for Linux(Mint) Compatible 11 -13" touch Laptops

Post by Hmfan »

I was going to suggest some of the older netbooks until I saw the i series processor requirement, Asus made this thing called a Vivobook, typically comes with windows but this website here shows how to install ubuntu, which I can assume means just about any linux from there. hope this was helpful

Edit: on that note, it is very difficult to find a I series processor in that laptop form factor size with VGA out. maybe with some adapters though you could use an HDMI out (or display port if it has it) to get a VGA out. It's not the prettiest solution but it's what this day and age gives you.
Main systems:
HP 15 AMD A6 6310, 16 GB RAM
Custom Desktop: Gigabyte F2A88XN, AMD A10 6800K, 8GB DDR3 RAM
ramk

Post by ramk »

Hi Hmfan,

Thanks,

I too realized that the "i" gen processor's are a hurdle. So any suggestions, but of machines that are *not android based* would also be welcome

Also am not a fan of Asus, had a few machines and am terribly disappointed with their reliability.

Am looking at the Yoga 300 - Pentium Quad Core.

My concern is not the machine itself but the Linux Compatibility.

ram
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hmfan »

the Lenovo Yoga does not match any of your requirements though, it uses a Pentium Mobile processor which is not part of the core I series, it does not have a VGA out and does not have an rj45 connection for networking. Though booting Linux on it would be easier than my attempts with booting the Nextbook Flexx 10, many of the ratings for it claim it is terrible for Linux compatibility. Also consider that many manufacturers seem to be moving away from that size range for heat control reasons.

Now here's the big question here, what are you planning to use this computer for? The reason I ask is that the Core I series processor may not be absolutely necessary. Let us know on this so that we can give you better options.

That said I have discovered a computer from a few years ago that would match most of what you are looking for, if found for sale used, and would likely work reasonably well, but would be difficult to come by because it wasn't made for very long. but if you are dead set on the size, look at the Alienware M11x, core I series processor, switchable graphics between an Nvidia chip and an intel integrated (bios switchable or with some script writing) The wireless may not work right out of the box, but with some broadcom driver work, it will work fine. I know a gaming laptop seems a bit out there for work purposes, but the Arch Linux people say it's easy enough in their wiki. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alienware_M11x It just doesn't have a touchscreen.

The big issue I have seen with touch screen support is that many distributions do not really set it up with gestures and such. So you end up with an oversized touch based mouse out of the box and then you have to do a bunch of other stuff to get it to work as a proper tablet.

Now if you are willing to go without the Core I series, your options really start to open up. You can pick up Chromebooks and put a proper linux on them with some hacking or use chroot if Chrome OS is alright (a way of duel boot I guess). The problem of course being the lack of onboard storage and I/O ports since they are intended to be used with the "cloud".
Main systems:
ramk

Post by ramk »

Hi Hmfan

thank you for the time taken to reply.

The reason for the specifics are
1. We want to have a mobile computer in our office to use as a small display device, to carry around for work and for presentations.

2. A tablet without a keypad is quite dysfunctional, whatever anyone says.

3. Android does not cut it on larger devices and does not have the computing band width - his res image based presentations, large spreadsheets, etc.

4. I need to maintain about 15 standalone laptops - and would prefer to maintain them with the same version of LM. Some of these are old intel centrino duo dell latitudes, another is an older toshiba (running some really ancient light version of linux (its awesome am sorry i forgot which version)

So basically a regular computer with touch screen rather than an android type device with a keyboard, something that after coming back from trips can continue to be a full fledged computer,

After your mail and willing to sacrifice the following
1. ethernet
2. VGA adapter - if a suitable hdmi to vga adapter is possible
3. less than "i" gen processors but preferably 64 bit , not amd or apu or any of the crippled processors - maybe celeron dual core, pentium dual / quad core. Unsure about atoms's

Not possible to sacrifice
1. Touch Screen
2. regular computing capabilities
3. Largish HDD / SSD (128 gigs and above would work)
4. as mentioned earlier Linux Compatible

@hmfan
from what you say there are not many linux devices - and heat is as you say an issue - hence the regular laptop rather than a slim box. Hence the thought for a Yoga.

Will look into the alien ware.
Am also looking at the following
1. S20-30 touch-
[*] http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/ ... tab-models
[*]has rj 45 , touch screen, pentium quad core, (s20's are known for their linux reliability )
[*] damn reasonable - about 330 US$

2. Thinkpad Yoga 11e
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... a-windows/
[*} celeron / m processors
[*] rj 45
[*] quite expensive - but a thinkpad ??

When (and if we do buy) or come across something even better / appropriate , i will post here

Thank you
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hmfan »

The Problem you will run into with the Chromebook based Thinkpad Yoga 11e is that with it being Chrome OS based, it's going to limit your ability to just drop Linux Mint into it. It would be a real hack job compared to a typical windows based system being moved to Linux, and you wouldn't get linux mint, you'd have a cludged Ubuntu packages over Chrome OS.

If you are dead set on Lenovo Yoga based systems then as you stated, go with the s20. The Arch wiki says it's pretty compatible as you stated. And that group is the ones that like to make linux run on anything.

Arch Wiki link to Lenovo S20
Main systems:
ramk

Post by ramk »

Hmfan wrote:The Problem you will run into with the Chromebook based Thinkpad Yoga 11e is that with it being Chrome OS based, it's going to limit your ability to just drop Linux Mint into it. It would be a real hack job compared to a typical windows based system being moved to Linux, and you wouldn't get linux mint, you'd have a cludged Ubuntu packages over Chrome OS.
Thanks Hmfan

This 11e series is yet to be launched and the india versions are all showing windows 8.1 (not chromebooks). The specs are almost what we had in mind :-) , but the killer question is what price. Similar specs from australia and the US are coming to about 450 - 500 US$ - this seems to fit our budget.

Regarding Chrome OS - which would it be a hack job - i would just delete chrome and install linuxmint , or does chrome OS restrict this in some way ??

thanks
ram
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hmfan »

I am not familiar with what is outside of North America really, I'm not really getting much info regarding the windows installed version of the Yoga 11e So I would be hesitant on saying it would be easily linux compatible. You could end up having to do what I did to get my newest tablet to boot Linux Mint and end up with a system that half works and crashes if you put it to sleep.

Well I guess I could be a little wrong about chromebooks, but it does takes a little more work than the typical PC and they do not have a lot of onboard storage space.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chrome_OS_devices

Yeah I know I reference them a lot, but they are a wealth of knowledge.
Main systems:
ramk

Post by ramk »

Hi Hmfan
Hmfan wrote:I am not familiar with what is outside of North America really, I'm not really getting much info regarding the windows installed version of the Yoga 11e So I would be hesitant on saying it would be easily linux compatible. You could end up having to do what I did to get my newest tablet to boot Linux Mint and end up with a system that half works and crashes if you put it to sleep.
Well I guess I could be a little wrong about chromebooks, but it does takes a little more work than the typical PC and they do not have a lot of onboard storage space.
These are the devices, yet to be launched in india - ? , no prices either, but the specs are way above the chromebooks - 500 gigs of HDD to start with :-)
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/ ... 1e-series/
My brother switched from mint / ubuntu to arch linux on a particularly troublesome fujitsu and has not had major issues. I don't have that luxury - am helping maintain close to 15 standalone machines. And a common stream of OS is good to have, funnily the oldest are running a jazzed up version of Ubuntu and going strong , without updates since 2010 :-) luckily they are never on the internet so all is well with them.

ram
Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hmfan »

I was only referencing their website for ways to cludge through booting those Chrome OS devices using a different OS, Linux Mint could likely be done, but getting the Bios to support other operating systems, is where you need to start with Chromebooks. It's actually a protection measure to make the devices "more secure."

From what you have shown me of the new models there, hardware wise they should be be fine. but please don't quote me on that without trying it first or further research on it, as I can not find details specific to the model in question I am of no further use here.
Main systems:

Return to “Other topics”