Black Background on Login, Icons and Fonts Messed Up

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
comradnoel

Black Background on Login, Icons and Fonts Messed Up

Post by comradnoel »

I´m running Linuxt Mint Rebecca 17.1 with Cinnamon 2.6.7+rafaela.

Last night when I logged in, I noticed that my background/wallpaper is just black. I cannot change my background in the settings. Other odd things happened too.
I can no longer open a terminal using the Alt-Ctrl-t shortcut. I checked and this shortcut is still active in the Keyboard settings, but no go on using it.
The terminal now has a black background with dark grey font, almost impossible to read (I changed that, though)
I can no longer type an apostrophe or quotation marks. I must hit the key twice to get a symbol like this ´.

Obviously I don´t know if all of those problems are related, but they all appeared simultaneously last night. I upgraded from cinnamon 2.4 to 2.6, no change.
The one ¨terminal¨ thing I did yesterday was trying to rotate my monitor using xrandr using these commands:

Code: Select all

$ xrandr -o normal
$ xrandr -o inverted
$ xrandr --output LVDS-1-0 --rotate right
None of them did anything to the display, but I wonder if they might have messed something else up. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

comradnoel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Black Background on Login, Icons and Fonts Messed Up

Post by Cosmo. »

comradnoel wrote:I´m running Linuxt Mint Rebecca 17.1 with Cinnamon 2.6.7+rafaela.
I wonder why you still use this very old (to my remembrance the first build of Cinnamon 2.6 for public beta testing) version. LM 17.2 is out since 6 weeks. The current version of Cinnamon is 2.6.13.
comradnoel

Re: Black Background on Login, Icons and Fonts Messed Up

Post by comradnoel »

Well, I sort of fixed it by upgrading to Linux Mint 17.2. But the screen resolution is all messed up now. A topic for another post, I suppose

Return to “Other topics”