Windows calls

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Phylly

Windows calls

Post by Phylly »

I hope this is the right place to put this. ADMIN: If I have posted in the wrong place, please move this.

About a year-and-a-half to two years ago I found out about Linux Mint, and that I would no longer need security programs, etc, and, that I would be able to get rid of Windows (which I didn't particularly like) while still having an easy to use program. So I opted to have it put on my Dell Latitude D830 Laptop, removing and replacing all Windows programs on my laptop at the time, and I have loved every minute of it, and have not needed to spend the extra money for those computer privacy/security services. So, my problem is that about a year ago I started getting periodic calls from Windows Technical saying that my laptop was infected and it needed to be clean up. So, if Windows has been completely removed from my laptop, why do they keep calling me? Are they just making "cold calls" trying to get more business, or could there still be some vestige of Windows left on my laptop? If it is all gone, how can I get them to stop calling me? Please, somebody help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Windows calls

Post by wallaroo »

This is a well known scam procedure and is likely to be just that.

Scammers call at random and say they are from Microsoft and that your Windows PC either needs urgent updating or has a virus. They then try to convince the person to either reveal critical personal information or worse, give them remote access to the PC on the pretense of 'fixing' the problem.

If they do get access they either search your PC for banking info or passswords and other information or they encrypt your drives and then extort money to unencrypt it.

I don't believe Microsoft has ever resorted to cold-calling people to drum up business - already make billions off the non-computer-literate users.

What did they try to get you to do? or did you just tell them that you don't have a Windows PC, and they went away (for a while at least).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Phylly wrote:So, my problem is that about a year ago I started getting periodic calls from Windows Technical saying that my laptop was infected and it needed to be clean up.
This is a phone scam. Microsoft themselves have information about it here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/onlin ... scams.aspx

Here are some tips to avoid falling for phone scams: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/avoid-tech- ... 20750.html. If you search for "windows technical scam" you'll find many more articles on the Internet.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It's a scam. If you play along with them, they will ask you to allow them to access your computer via remote desktop. If you allow them to do so, they will infect your computer with malware that allows them complete control over your computer, and your computer would likely be used as a spam server, or for DDOS attacks, or other mischief. Also, they will have access to all your information on your computer, including any passwords, credit card information, banking information, etc. you might have on your computer. Just hang up if they call again. Once I played along with them and pretended I couldn't understand their requests and wasted a bunch of their time. Another time I just told them that I use Linux, I'm not going to fall for the scam, and to eff off. That may be the best approach to getting them to stop calling you.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Ventotene

Post by Ventotene »

Random phone scam, nothing to do with your computer, with some research/ideas you can waste these criminals time no problem.

Return to “Other topics”