How updates are installed [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

How updates are installed [SOLVED]

Post by Summerof69 »

Hello I was wondering how/when updates are installed so to speak.
What I am eager to learn is, when is the exact moment that fx "firefox" is updated. In my understanding Linux mint doesn't update an ongoing process, but updates the process once it is stopped.
I'm going to use this example, otherwise it will not make sense (to other people):

Scenario:
I'm running Linux mint 17.2 cinnamon, and using the browser firefox, and the update manager says that a newer version of firefox is available.
I click on the install button and keep on using firefox as the update manager fetches the new version of firefox.

Now in my book firefox only gets updated when I close firefox, and restart it, and not "on the fly" as I'm using it. :?:

The reason for my curiosity is this older link about the Zygote process and the Chromium browser, that I also have installed.

http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/ ... ygote.html

If I have understood this older blog correctly, then the developers of Chromium have created the Zygote process in Chromium to accommodate for the scenario I've described above, and claim that the software in Linux gets updated "on the fly" on the running processes, if a given program should be in use when updated.

But if that would be the case, then there would have been hundreds of threads more here, about why a given program had started acting odd, or stopped working - after an update.
It just doesn't make sense to me. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For millions of years mankind lived much like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking
Stephen Hawkin's voice on Keep Talking by Pink Floyd
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How updates are installed

Post by xenopeek »

Updates are installed at the moment that you install them. There is no delay or waiting for anything. That said, any running program keeps running with the old program code already in memory—it doesn't get reloaded just because you overwrote some files on disk. You'll have to exit and restart the program to run it with the new program code.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

xenopeek wrote:Updates are installed at the moment that you install them. There is no delay or waiting for anything. That said, any running program keeps running with the old program code already in memory—it doesn't get reloaded just because you overwrote some files on disk. You'll have to exit and restart the program to run it with the new program code.
Thank you Xenopeek. :D That was exactly what I meant.

But I do not understand what the blogger / developer of Chromium in the link is complaining about when he(or she?) says:
With all this in mind you might reasonably ask why Linux needs to be special: why we waste memory on this zygote process launcher and have extra buggy codepaths just to support an inferior update model.
and
Any time someone adds code to Chrome that interacts with a file on disk they either need to be aware that they need to preemptively open it or they will produce mysterious failures across updates
And finishes with:
with ChromeOS where we control the stack we have more intelligent updates.
Maybe it is a question about my English skills, and maybe I'm missing the point :? Or is it maybe a "ChromebookOS" salesperson speaking.
We learned to talk
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

I'm marking this tread as "solved".

What I may be thinking personally about what is written in the provided link is purely subjective. :mrgreen:
We learned to talk

Return to “Other topics”