Intel core 2 Duo, fact or fiction?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Intel core 2 Duo, fact or fiction?

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, I'll be honest. Mint is in my second PC, a P4-3.0 (32bit) with lots of ram, big HD, cool Nvidia card etc.

I have Windows in a Core 2 duo Intel 6300 (1.86ghz) based PC, overclocked on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P MB @ FSB 350 = 2.4ghz.

My Mint PC is my old Windows PC and I have to be honest that I find no speed advantage in the core 2 duo over my old trusty P4.

I'm beginning to think core 2 duo is all a bit of a wank.

My question, how does Mint run on both 64bit CPU's / platforms and with a core 2 duo CPU?

Aside from a few minor issues I love Mint and am leaning to it as my main PC (especially for web and email)

Opinions and discussion appreciated.

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

The problem with 64/32 bit systems is that if you want a true 64 bit system you need all the applications compiled in/for 64bit not just have a 64bit kernel and 32bit applications.
This is where distros like gentoo are the best for 64bit. It just takes you 2+ days to compile/setup your system.
:)
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Other topics”