Can't get to tty?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't get to tty?

Postby soulexposed on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Unfortunately Bianca has been giving me tons of problems on my current machine. :(

The biggest problem right now is that I can't successfully get to tty1-6. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6, it just gives me a blank screen which I cannot even type on. I cannot return to the GUI from this screen, either. I must restart the whole computer. Any idea why this is happening? It may also help to note that I can't get envy working for me. I type "sudo envy", choose the "1" choice and then I get booted out to a blank screen.

My specs:
Chip: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E ATX AM2 Nforce 570 Ultra
Video Card: nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS
2 Gigs RAM

I'm also dualing-booting with Windows XP, with Bianca installed on a separate drive.
"Loyalty, trust, faith and desire
carries love through each darkest fire" - Octavarium by Dream Theater

soulexposed
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby telic on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:05 pm

If Envy doesn't work for you, read what I posted in this thread. You need to fix your TTY problem first, though.

About the blank TTY screen: You might be experiencing what's discussed HERE. It appears to be a problem in the combo of Bianca and Beryl.

I disabled Beryl and installed Compiz, which can be better behaved on Mint.

The installation process for Compiz on Bianca is the same as for Ubuntu Edgy (details HERE).

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:09 pm

If your Mint is up to date you have the latest version of envy where you use envy -g for gnome version and envy -t for text based
Check in synaptics (or apt-get) if you have the latest version and install it if you don't.
May fix your problem, or not and then telic has the solution for you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics