[SOLVED]Screenshot of Menu?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

[SOLVED]Screenshot of Menu?

Post by Ozo »

I would like to take a screenshot of the Menu screen but I can not. I had to photograph it. Is it possible to capture the Menu with a screenshot or ...? I did get this one from a paused video but it is fuzzy and it will not enlarge when I click on it for some reason.
Menu.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Screenshot of Menu?

Post by Cosmo. »

Which desktop environment?

In Cinnamon there is gnome-screenshot installed. The name in the menu is language dependent, but if you enter this expression in the search bar of the menu you will identify it. Use it and set a delay for the screen shot, this gives you the time to open the menu.

A more powerful solution is shutter.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I have been using that utility and even with the delay set at 0 it will not capture the menu. I now have Shutter but had no luck with the menu capture. Can you prove that it is possible by uploading a screenshot of your Menu?
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

KSnapshot will do it - no problem.
snapshot5.png
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Are you misunderstanding how to set the delay? There is no point setting the delay to 0 as that gives you no time to open the menu before the screenshot is taken.

Open the screenshot application and set delay for 5 seconds. Now click OK, immediately open the menu and wait until 5 seconds has elapsed. You should now see the dialogue for saving the image, copying it to clipboard, or whatever you choose to do with it.

NB. I am using Xubuntu with xfce4-screenshooter, but I think it is much like gnome-screenshot so you will get much the same behaviour, I believe.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I just took a screenshot using whatever is provided under Accessories in Mint Cinnamon. I set the delay to 10 seconds, clicked on the Take Screenshot button, the clicked on the Menu button. If you set the delay to zero, you couldn't possibly get the mouse to the Menu button fast enough to get a shot of it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I pressed PrtSc while the menu was open, and this showed up in my Pictures folder. (Cropped for privacy.)
I have Shutter, but I wasn't using it here; there was no need. The default tool worked just fine.
Last edited by Moem on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As ajgreeny already said: A delay of 0 will never work.

Done with shutter:
Menu.png
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Ozo wrote:I now have Shutter but had no luck with the menu capture.
Are you using the Menu Capture tool from the toolbar? It is the icon two places to the right of the Window Capture tool. Here is a video from the project website showing how it is done.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

O Yea! Thanks y'all. I have a lot of info in this thread.
aaa.png

Return to “Other topics”