No longer seeing error messages in dmesg or .xsession-errors

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KynikossDragonn

No longer seeing error messages in dmesg or .xsession-errors

Post by KynikossDragonn »

I've not too long ago upgraded from 17.2 to 17.3 and now anytime something segfaults I don't see the segfault message in dmesg, neither in .xsession-errors.

Though when I first started using Linux Mint 17.1, I was getting errors logged in .xsession-errors just fine so I was able to see what's going wrong without having to launch everything in a separate terminal window. When I upgraded from that to 17.2, .xsession-errors stopped reporting anything useful but I still see segfault messages in dmesg.

Now upgrading to 17.3 and .xsession-errors is still not reporting any useful error messages and dmesg never shows when a segfault happened and what happened to even cause the segfault in the first place.

/proc/sys/debug/exception-trace is 1
/proc/sys/kernel/print-fatal-signals is 0

Under /etc/mdm/mdm.conf:

Code: Select all

[debug]

# Note that to disable servers defined in the MDM System Defaults
# configuration file (such as 0=Standard, you must put a line in this file
# that says 0=inactive, as described in the Configuration section of the MDM
# documentation.
#

LimitSessionOutput=false

FilterSessionOutput=true

Enable=false
The description for FilterSessionOutput says it "prevents warnings from common libraries", but why would it filter stuff from obviously uncommon things like Steam or games run under steam, or audacious, etc? Changing this from true to false has made no difference either. So I'm very confused what went wrong in the update. I even compiled a program that segfaults on purpose and I get no error messages in dmesg or .xsession-errors. I even took a program already running and mangled it's memory to get it to segfault and the same thing happens, no messages logged.

I used the UpdateManager to transition myself to 17.3. Are there configuration files I'm not aware of that's causing this behaviour?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Other topics”