HELP to many file written to drive

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

HELP to many file written to drive

Postby hutch133 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:39 pm

I went to office-humour.co.uk/ today and clicked on Cartoons, I immediately heard my hard drive start to write files and the display froze, clicking on a menu items or icons had no effect
I let the hard drive keep writing for a few minutes before I pushed the power button on my computer to stop it
I rebooted and run Kfind with the properts set to find files written today
In the few minutes before I stopped it by pushing the power button several thousand files had been written
Mostly in the proc folder and its sub folders and the sys folder and its sub folders, most of these folders have 0 as the file size
Does anyone have an idea what has happened
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sorry for the post
hutch133
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:34 am

You're not supposed to touch /proc or /sys !!!!!! These are purely virtual filesystems only present for info purposes that belong to the kernel itself. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procfs

Whatever stuff got written like mad must either be in your /home (where all your personal files are) or /tmp (where temporary stuff goes) or /var (e.g. log files in /var/log !)

Can you check the amount of free space on your system?
Code: Select all
sudo df -ah

Also: is beagle installed? Many people have problems with it, I personally suggest removing it.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Other topics