I broke Gnome.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I broke Gnome.

Postby allforcarrie on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:29 pm

i was changing my theme and i dragged and dropped a mouse theme into the window causing my computer to freeze. Since the freeze the only way i can get to a GUI is by logging into gnome failsafe mode. Any idea what i could do? possibly delete the offending user?

this happened using Bianca.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby allforcarrie on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:46 am

any ideas?
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby telic on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:20 am

Well, when I break software and don't know where to begin a repair, I might figure that it's no more or less hassle to install it anew.

GNOME, after all, is just one of several display managers that you can run on Mint. It can be removed and replaced.

For ideas on how to restore Bianca's brand of GNOME (versus Ubuntu), I'd study an example of how it got there in the first place...

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... nca_Stable

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... nca_Stable

------
Last edited by telic on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby allforcarrie on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:25 am

grr its frustrating becuse all i did was try to install new cursers.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:42 am

I broke my gnome with new cursors too... don't really recall what I did to change it... but I think it was sufficient to delete the directory where it was installed...

you can also create a new user.. it will install with default settings...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby allforcarrie on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:54 am

well i made a new user but couldn't get the old one deleted so i ended up just reformatting and reinstalling.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MintPad on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:03 am

I would suggest you install a simple desktop you're comfortable with, then remove all of GNOME (as much as you know is directly tied to the gnome package). From there, just reinstall GNOME.

But that's a last ditch, and I hope you can find a better way. I have a feeling that by reinstalling GNOME, you may lose a ton of GNOME settings.

Actually, I may have a better idea. Insert your 2.2 disc. Launch Synaptic Package Manager and click "Add CD-ROM," selecting the Mint disk. Then re-install any packages related to GNOME, and go on re-installing until all of your Mint-y features are restored!
MintPad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics