Feisty's effect on Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby H0bb3z on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:21 am

Like the noob that I am, I went ahead and hit the "Upgrade to 7.04" button when prompted and let it roll...

It changed the sources over to fiesty, then I started thinking and looked up this thread. After reading about some of the breakage, I opened a terminal window and did a
Code: Select all
sudo ps -ef
to see what was going on as the upgrade was downloading packages.

I decided I'd try to abort it by finding the "gksu /tmp/tmp7eAoHv/feisty" process and all of its children, then running
Code: Select all
sudo kill -9 5080 5120 ...
to get rid of the upgrade processes. (NOTE: if you do this, your PIDs will be different than mine in all likelihood)

That seemed to kill the upgrade before it installed any packages, but the sources are still pointing to feisty repositories. I had to enable a few Mint repositories that were disabled, but everything still looks okay. I have not yet tried rebooting, but I'll do that and send an update...
H0bb3z
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby H0bb3z on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:38 am

Okay -- everything is still intact, but its now telling me there are 659 updates and I can't select the Mint-specific updates. The updater pops up a message saying that the distribution upgrade was not successful and it gives me the option to restart it or cancel everytime I start the update manager.

I'll fiddle around some more to see if I can get updated packages without going through the distribution upgrade scripts...
H0bb3z
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ambertone on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:13 am

Would I be correct if I called this a huge mess?

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Postby H0bb3z on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:27 am

Uh - yeah. That's about what I'd call it at this point -- my system is borked after trying to update some packages (even though I kept avoiding the upgrade button). For some odd reason, the text in all of the window titles and all pop up messages are illegible -- they look as if the fonts broke or became unavailable and now I get a bunch of boxes in place of characters. :shock:

Some things still work, like menus and some apps, but I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board on this one before I start losing data...
H0bb3z
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:56 am

nasty stuff... I guess we'll need our own mintUpdater for Cassandra... eh, Clem? :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby veloct on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:19 am

I even tried a clean install of 7.04 on my machine and it was not pretty. I have to manually fix resolutions for my monitor, manually edit xorg.conf several times, borked firefox. I'm not happy with Ubuntu at the moment, I thought they are supposed to move forward and not backwards. Time to look elsewhere.
veloct
Level 2
Level 2

Previous

Return to Other topics