Feisty's effect on Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

You would have to change the sources.list to point to the feisty repositories.

Better to just wait till Cassandra comes out as it will be based on Feisty with all the mint goodies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

MintPad wrote:My update manager is asking me to upgrade to 7.04...what will happen if I do this? Will I lose my MintMenu, etc, and just be running a boring Ubuntu 7.04? Or will only core and other internal features be upgraded? I'm apprehensive to take the update...

Also, when's Cassandra due out (about)?

Edit: After browsing the newsletters, the closest thing to a concrete date is "April-May" for Cassandra.
If you take the update, there is a good chance it may make a lot, if not all of the mint-specific settings to not work.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

The repositories should be different and unless you added feisty repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list, any updates are for Edgy and not Feisty.

Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list contents here?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Hmmm...so that must mean that Ubuntu added and upgrade option on the edgy repo. Nice touch for those that are using regular Ubuntu but it will be a pain for Mint users.

Somebody that has a spare partition should try it out and see what happens so they can report back about it.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

well that is tonights fun sorted.
auto update to fiesty and watch the carnage.

on my test box of course.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi all,

I'll try it on my second Minty box as well. Will post result later tonight.

Rod
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I haven't tested the full upgrade.. but the first thing it does is to replace occurences of edgy to feisty in sources.list (and that's ok), but it also comments out all 3pp repositories so you basically don't point at medibuntu, bianca or romeo after that upgrade... (it's probably good for compatibility reasons but it's something you should know).

Clem
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Didn't work, it could not replace what it needed to on my sources list.

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi all,

Made a nasty mess. After the failed Fiesy update I tried to do the normal updates and the PC froze (and it never freezes)

Reboot

Tried update again and got this error: You must run: 'dpkg-------a' something (sorry, I forgot)

After doing that it seems to be updating again normally (I hope)

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

This is the error:

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ ... Sources.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

Rod
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

because i use my isp's mirror my upgrade failed and died.
:(
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Upgrade "almost" worked

Post by donlinux »

Too late, I decided to visit this forum and search Feisty upgrade.. I had already started the upgrade process... Hey, I'm still a newb...

Anyway, I figured I was probably already pretty much screwed so when I was presented with the options of keeping any cfg files or replacing them, I chose to keep them. Then at the very end of the upgrade when prompted to remove obsolete programs, I chose to "skip" removing them. Rebooted, everything rebooted into Bianca, kept my taskbar, kept my settings. I use Mailwasher Pro and have it enabled during startup, it started but became very "ugly" again which is an Ubuntu trait. For some reason it looks good in Bianca though. The upgrade changed my repo's to feisty vs. edgy or mint but synaptic worked and the mint repos were still there along with 3rd. party repos which I re-enabled with no negative effects.
Bianca menu is still there and mostly functioning although the "system tools" button only shows Automatix now. The mint control center no longer works. It added desktop search to my taskbar along with the network connection icon. Added some additional fonts, kept my network connections including smb shares.
So in retrospect, not totally FUBAR, but the missing mint control center sucks.
I was just about to move to a larger HD for mint, so I guess this is a good time to re-install Bianca until Cassandra is released.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Would I be correct if I called this a huge mess?

Rod
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

nasty stuff... I guess we'll need our own mintUpdater for Cassandra... eh, Clem? :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Return to “Other topics”