KPowersave Woes

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

KPowersave Woes

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:41 am

The "CPU Frequency Policy" option in KPowersave does not appear, causing my laptop to run at 100% CPU all the time and chew through battery power. If I reinstall KPowersave, the "CPU Frequency Policy" option appears. After a restart it goes away again! If I can get it to stay I will let you know. But in the mean time, any idea???

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

KPowersave Woes

Postby nick on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi
Edgy bug?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/64646

Although I do not have a laptop, (running Bianca with KDE installed, I get told by Synaptic that if I want to install Kpowersave, I will have to uninstall KDE!! :)
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:40 pm

nick: thanks. Yes this is that same Edgy bug. The issue can be fixed by issuing the following commands:

$ sudo killall -QUIT hald-addon-acpi
$ sudo /etc/init.d/powersaved restart

Clem: can you cook us up a more permanent fix than running this as a shell script every session?

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:51 pm

Clem: I've cooked up a shell script for users who experience this problem. It simply executes the commands in the above post. To install it, users need to download the file "power" to their home folder and do the following:

sudo cp power /usr/bin
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/power

then simply open a terminal and type "power" to fix the problem every time. You can create a symbolic link to the file to that this is done automatically by doing:

cd ~/.kde/Autostart
ln -s /usr/bin/power power

I will email you the file if all this seems to work after I've tested it out :D

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:00 pm

UPDATE: The Autostart idea did not work. I suppose this is because it needs your password. At any rate the user can still open a terminal on logging in a simply type "power" to fix the problem.

Clem: email or PM me for the file.

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Does anyone know how to execute a script as root upon login with KDM? ... Clem?? We did this with GDM for mintBrightness.....

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:57 pm

Put your script in the /etc/rc.local file.

then at each boot or run level change it will get run.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:21 pm

The byproduct of killing/refreshing KPowersave stuffs is a flickering of the screen if I am running on a battery. Is there a way to get this to run only once per boot/session/you-get-the-idea using the /etc/rc directories?

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:26 pm

in the /etc/rc.local file put you two lines.

killall -QUIT hald-addon-acpi
/etc/init.d/powersaved restart

this will only run once at boot.

:D
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby will on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:34 pm

eh yes... but I've tried that in /etc/X11/Xsession and it doesn't work. I'm guessing hald-addon-acpi hasn't loaded at that point. problems, problems.
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:26 am

hald-addon-acpi is an executable of the hald daemon, from its library.
the hald daemon is started by the dbus daemon which is started before the powersaved daemon.

if you are killing off the hald-addon-acpi, and it does not restart, then why not try moving/deleting/renaming /usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-acpi.
but i expect this to have all sorts of strange/bad effects with other devices. maybe.
worth a try.

you may just have to restart powersaved ,or this may not be required at all once hald-addon-acpi is gone.

how about manually starting acpi via the rc.local so it starts after the powersaved has started.

just some ideas.

I see this is an ongoing bug in ubuntu that started in edgy and has not been fixed yet even in fiesty....
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby will on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:29 am

Boo: thank you for the ideas! I will look into them and let you know if I figure out a solution.

-Will
will
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics