"Superuser" mode?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

"Superuser" mode?

Postby varaonaid on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi,

I have a question. I've been moving over to Linux from Windows and finally found a home with Mint KDE (love it!). However, there's one feature from a previous distro that I miss: a superuser mode for browsing files. I can do a little of the command line stuff but sometimes, I just really miss "drag and drop". However, the permissions issues get in the way and I'm not sure how to, for lack of a better explanation, drag and drop in "sudo" mode. If anyone could offer any insights and help on this, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks so much!
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Patrialt on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:46 am

you should be able to just right click any folder/drive on your desktop, and select "open as root", i may be wrong, im not running Mint KDE at the moment.

[edit:] you should also be able to open konsole and type "kdesu konqueror"
Patrialt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:35 am

This is actually a feature that was missing in Bianca Gnome but that we put in Bianca KDE. Open the menu, go to System and choose "Krusader - root mode".

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby telic on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:21 am

This superuser functionality is easily added to GNOME Bianca, for any file manager.

Use the Preferences > Menu Layout section to add the command gksu nautilus as a menu item, for example.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby varaonaid on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:32 am

Thanks SO much! You solved it for me. It's exactly what I was looking for.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Re: "Superuser" mode?

Postby scorp123 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 am

varaonaid wrote:a superuser mode for browsing files. I can do a little of the command line stuff but sometimes, I just really miss "drag and drop".
I strongly advise against this ... One accidental "drag & drop" in the wrong place and your system is hosed :wink:

Trust me ... when I started with Linux back in 1996 I also had to learn it the hard way ... :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Other topics