Cannot install libicu34. SOLVED!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Cannot install libicu34. SOLVED!

Postby Red Knuckles on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:53 pm

I installed Linux Mint Bianca KDE mini. The release notes suggest that after installing mini you install these packages that are on the full KDE DVD:

For users who do not have a DVD burner we're also releasing a "miniKDE" Edition which fits on a CD. The following items are not present in the miniKDE Edition and we strongly encourage miniKDE Edition users to install them after they downloaded and installed from the CD:

* Support for other languages (only English is supported by the liveCD, other languages can be added once the system is installed)
* Inkscape
* Hugin
* Scribus
* KMymoney
* K9Copy
* The Gimp
* libicu34
* kde-icons-mono
* ttf-arabeyes
* diveintopython

I was able to install everything but libicu34. I have ALL repos currently enabled in '/etc/apt/sources.list'. What, if anything, should I do about this??? :?: If I try 'sudo aptitude install libicu34' I get this result:

:~$ sudo aptitude install libicu34
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
No candidate version found for libicu34
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done

Yet libicu34 is listed in Adept PM. What to do??? :shock: :x :P
Last edited by Red Knuckles on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Red Knuckles
Linux Mint KDE, Ubuntu Feisty, Debian Lenny, and Gentoo 2007.0
AMD64:AMD64 X2 4800+:4x1GB DDR2
800:GeForce 6150 256MB:ASUS M2NPV-VM:2x320GB
Red Knuckles
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:13 am

libicu34 is a file that has to do with localized settings in office (open and K) so it ought to be in your system if you install office. Else you don't need it I believe unless you have wine. Sorry for the somewhat "simple" answer but that's just about all I find out. Uncle google does not want to share more with me :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Red Knuckles on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:38 pm

Husse wrote:libicu34 is a file that has to do with localized settings in office (open and K) so it ought to be in your system if you install office. Else you don't need it I believe unless you have wine. Sorry for the somewhat "simple" answer but that's just about all I find out. Uncle google does not want to share more with me :)

Thanks for the reply. I got this Ubuntu link from Uncle Google:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/libs/libicu34

Didn't tell me much and I don't seem to be missing anything. Linux Mint seems as fast or maybe faster than my Kubuntu Feisty. The Ubuntu page also gives me download mirrors so I downloaded it and installed it.

sudo dpkg -i libicu34_3.4.1a-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

It is now listed as installed in Adept PM. It is installed in '/usr/share/doc/', and '/usr/share/lintian/'. So as far as I know I am now in full compliance with the Release Notes for Bianca KDE mini plus upgraded to Feisty and all initial problems solved.

After 4 days I really like this version of this distro. Very nice. :D

Also thanks for reminding to check Google before posting. :oops: I did do a forum search though. :shock:
Thanks,
Red Knuckles
Linux Mint KDE, Ubuntu Feisty, Debian Lenny, and Gentoo 2007.0
AMD64:AMD64 X2 4800+:4x1GB DDR2
800:GeForce 6150 256MB:ASUS M2NPV-VM:2x320GB
Red Knuckles
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics