Upgrade Question...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Upgrade Question...

Postby Georgie-o on Wed May 09, 2007 9:44 am

I see that we should NOT upgrade to 7.04. But when the new Mint is available (Cassandra?) will we be able to upgrade or need to do a re-install? By the way when do we expect Cassandra to be final?

Thanks
Georgie-o
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed May 09, 2007 10:07 am

Yes, when Cassandra is released there will be way to upgrade. The first beta is released, and then there will be a second beta (end of next week?) and a release of the stable a week or maybe a fortnight after that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Random on Wed May 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Husse wrote:Yes, when Cassandra is released there will be way to upgrade.

I read somewhere a criticism of Mint because of the frequent release pattern, and frankly I tended to agree. Even though I enjoy using it (despite my fondness for KDE, I much prefer Mint-Gnome) I have no interest in a distro with a 3-4 month release cycle. However, if you make upgrading available through Synaptic (and it actually works) I will be happy to revise that opinion.

I felt the Mint-KDE release seemed like it was a bit 'rushed', and didn't care for it. It would be nice to think that the emphasis in future releases would be on 'thorough-and-complete' rather than 'quick-and-dirty'.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. I'm sure the developers have a plan, even if it might not always be apparent to us drones.
Random
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Thu May 10, 2007 3:38 am

Random wrote:'thorough-and-complete' rather than 'quick-and-dirty'.
I second that :D I'm still using Mint 2.0 aka "Barbara" :wink: ... it's more or less just "Ubuntu + Codecs" but it works as expected and it is very stable; a few minor bugs here and there but other than that completely stable. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Other topics