Sound issues

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound issues

Postby varaonaid on Sun May 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi,

I'm running Mint 2.2 KDE and loving it. However, I'm having some problems with my sound. It appears that output is OK but I tried to record using Audacity and it was horrible! The sounds was all garbled and the the tones were all wrong (though the speed was roughly OK). This has been the only thing that I've *had* to boot back into Win2k for and I'd like to get it working correctly now in Linux. (I'm slowly but surely leaving MS behind!)

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong? My sound card is obviously OK because it works in Win2K. According to the output of lspci my sound card info is:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Any help you could give would me most appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Mon May 14, 2007 5:27 am

I don't know if this is what happened to you, but if you record and stop recording and then make a new recording both are replayed.(on top of each other) You have to get rid of the first recording before you record again.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby varaonaid on Mon May 14, 2007 11:25 am

Husse,

Thanks for replying. No, it was a single one track recording, but thanks for checking me on it.

Any other ideas (maybe drivers-wise) what could be causing this?
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Mon May 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Maybe you can and should choose another "source" (in Edit > Preferences) or maybe you have the volume too high
Play around with your settings,,,
If you still have a problem I have to think hard - no good for the brain :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby varaonaid on Mon May 14, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi Husse,

Thanks for replying again. I double checked the settings that you gave me for "source" and there was only one option. So I assume that it was correct. I also looked over the sound preferences and they seemed correct as well.

So I attempted another recording and for whatever reason - it worked! So who knows what the problem was but thankfully, it seems to be working now. Thanks again for the help.

On an aside. I decided to check the "full duplex sound" option after trying out the recording (and it worked as you know). It seems to work with it on as well. Is this a good option to keep enabled for sound recording?

Thanks again! I really appreciate the help...
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Tue May 15, 2007 6:01 am

"full duplex sound"
Unless I'm completely "out in the blue" that has to do with voice communication as it means that you are able to listen at the same time as you speak - like in a normal telephone. Otherwise you have to say "Over" and push/release a button.
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics