WiFi Icons

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

WiFi Icons

Postby varaonaid on Tue May 15, 2007 12:11 am

Hi,

I know this is probably a strange question but I'd like to get a working icon set in the system tray (hope that's the correct name in Linux, if not, please forgive and educate me) so that I know when my computer is actually online. I've had it working in other distros but can't seem to get it in Mint KDE. Any assistance you could give would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue May 15, 2007 6:23 am

I think that's one of the few drawbacks with Mint. It does not seem you can. I'm not so good at KDE but I think that the network manager there won't give you that. And in Gnome it surely does not - it's a bug
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Boo on Tue May 15, 2007 8:23 am

if you use network manager it does tell you.

it changes from 2 computers for lan connnection or a wifi signal strength meter when wifi is up.

but that is gnome.
I thought kde had the same or similar app.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby varaonaid on Tue May 15, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies.

As per your suggestions, I found KWiFiManager. It's quite good and at least give me signal strength in the system tray. However, I have no idea how to get it to start with my system. Any ideas how to accomplish this?

It took me awhile to get my wifi connection to start with mint which is why I ended up using the most basic built in network manager. It requires you to manually enter your SSID so it's not good for roaming but as I said, it gives me a connection immediately upon startup. Is there a better way to accomplish all of this?

Thanks in advance!
(if I forgot to mention it, I'm running Mint 2.2 KDE)
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BlahBlah_X on Tue May 15, 2007 8:23 pm

varaonaid wrote:Thanks for the replies.

As per your suggestions, I found KWiFiManager. It's quite good and at least give me signal strength in the system tray. However, I have no idea how to get it to start with my system. Any ideas how to accomplish this?

It took me awhile to get my wifi connection to start with mint which is why I ended up using the most basic built in network manager. It requires you to manually enter your SSID so it's not good for roaming but as I said, it gives me a connection immediately upon startup. Is there a better way to accomplish all of this?

Thanks in advance!
(if I forgot to mention it, I'm running Mint 2.2 KDE)

just copy and paste this into konsole: ln -s /usr/bin/kwifimanager ~/.kde/Autostart/kwifimanager

note; ~ is the same as saying your user folder like /bob
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby varaonaid on Wed May 16, 2007 12:30 pm

BlahBlah X: Thanks! That's awesome. Got it working now.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 am

also try kwlan manager... if it's not installed by default, you can install it from the repos.... I find it a lot better than kwifi and it supports WPA...

you see a computer monitors and a radio signal icon for LAN/WLAN respectively... and if they are not connected they are gray.. (as opposed to colored :) ) it's good for roamint and it will only ask you for your password at login to start-up your saved profiles...

Still looking for away to bypass that initial password too...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics