Sutdown issue, i'm lost!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sutdown issue, i'm lost!

Postby psycosmyth on Wed May 16, 2007 9:11 pm

I have a big problem!
I have ran into a shutdown problem with Kernel 2.6.20+ and my laptop.

I get a message about powernowd and the lack of a folder. I don't have details since the message is so quick.

I have a 2year old Dell inspiron 1200 with a Celeron 1.2mh and the standard intel chipset.

The effect is identical to holding down the powerbutton for a force-off. It makes a "CLINK" sound when this happens. It's my understanding that this is bad for the processor.

I am seriously worried because my two favorite distros will soon be at this Kernel level, Mint and PCLOS.

This occured with Ubuntu Fiesty in all flavors and Sabayon. A kernel revert cures the problem. I have posted and searched to find answers but no help so far.

You guys are top notch, so I hope I can get resolve here.

Thank you, Kurt

Found this just now https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... +bug/67810

This could do it
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu May 17, 2007 5:56 am

It makes a "CLINK" sound when this happens. It's my understanding that this is bad for the processor.
You don't have to afraid it hurts your processor - it never will. Maybe your harddrive as it is a laptop, but if you're not moving it around it's safe too.
Unfortunately you don't give enough details for me to investigate - but you seem to have found something.
If you post the exact processor and chipset and preferably other details I can at least look around.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby psycosmyth on Thu May 17, 2007 8:12 am

your right Husse, it's not the processor. The heads of some sata hard-drives for laptops are not being stopped properly and is becoming more common as people install more newer distros. There seems to be some patches and a fix in 22 :idea:
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Postby psycosmyth on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Just to be proper, the 2.6.22 resolves this issue.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics