I'm scared to shut down

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I'm scared to shut down

Postby havedampton on Thu May 17, 2007 3:27 pm

Something really weird happened this morning when I turn the computer on. I turned it on, walked away, and when I came back it was at the BIOS. I exited the BIOS without saving changes and tried to boot my linux drive with no success (as soon as the splash with "Bianca" came up, nothing happened- no movement on the status bar. Also everything was much slower and the hard drive seemed to sound different than usual.) So I turned the machine off and tried again, same thing. So I turned it off and tried to boot the windows drive and it said I had an invalid .ini file. So I turned it off and went to the BIOS and saw that the slave hd was not listed (this is the windows hd, the master hd is the linux drive.) So I turned off again and was going to try the linux recovery, but this time it SOUNDED different and went much faster to the grub menu than before, so I just tried booting mint again and it worked.

So now mint seems to be running just fine, EXCEPT I don't see my slave (windows) drive on my desktop anymore. Like I said, I have a master linux drive and a slave windows drive, both configured cable select.

Now I'm afraid to shut down before I figure this out for fear I'll never get it to boot again.

havedampton
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Thu May 17, 2007 4:14 pm

Sounds like one of your hard drives went to the eternal hunting grounds of their forefathers, to Nirvana, to eternal bliss, to join the Dodos and the Dinosaurs on their eternal green fields, the Elysium ...

On a second thought: Did you check the cabling? Maybe you're lucky and it's just a loose cable ... I'd check that. If this doesn't help: Remove the drive and test it in a friend's computer ... or put it into a USB-drive bay (they can be bought for very cheap money in any computer store ...) .. If the drive still won't move .. Oh well: See above ... green fields, Dodos, Dinosaurs, Elysium and all that.

How old was the harddrive in question? 5+ years? Cheapo brands sometimes fail + die after a certain time. I personally have very bad experience with Maxtor drives and since then avoid them as far as I can ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Boo on Thu May 17, 2007 7:06 pm

after checking the cables change the jumpers from cable select to master and slave fro the respective drives.
I have had problems with cable select in the past and now don't use it.
changing the jumpers fixed my problem.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby hairy_Palms on Thu May 17, 2007 11:56 pm

I personally have very bad experience with Maxtor drives and since then avoid them as far as I can ...

lol thanks scorp, ive had lotsa problems with maxtor too, but i thought i was just unlucky as i know so many people who swear by them, my 40GB seagate on the other hand has faithfully served me for almost 7 years now :)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 pm

I'd keep the hard drives on separate IDE cables if your computer is "young" enough to have ATA 66 or better. Then the hdd is not slowed down (much) by the optical unit(s) and you don't risk that some error in one disk spreads to the other. In my experience that could happen, but the risk that a CD/DVD does "bad things" to your drives is low.
But two disks on the same cable would slow each other down on disk intensive tasks
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics