Really strange errors on a laptop

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Really strange errors on a laptop

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:57 pm

I have "inherited" my wifes old laptop and installed Cassandra on it.
When I start Update manager I get an error and I can read as a tool tip the following:
An error occured, please run Package Manager from the right click menu or apt-get on a terminal to see what is wrong. The error message was: 'Error opening the cache:(
E: Read error - read (5 input/output error)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.) '

From a terminal:
bettan@bettan-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get check
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
The same for apt-get autoclean and autoremove while just clean does not give any message

And this is also odd:
bettan@bettan-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Password:
Bus error (core dumped)

I'll make a new install, beta 014 worked ok so this is something I've bumped into :)
Just posting to see if someone knows anything about this, another time it may be a crisis with such an error.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby D1Wayne on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:05 pm

i'm bet you already tried safe mode and done a cd check right.
did you check the system, kernel logs for disk or bus-errors, no blue-tooth or usb devices attached?
D1Wayne
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:13 pm

The cd is the same I used to install this computer - always check md5 and burn at 2x :)
USB mouse else nothing...
The logs were either to long to look through or did not contain anything of value - a situation that's not too unusual
It is a fairly old laptop that fell on the floor from the bed once when my wife fell asleep and forgot about it - she has another "bedmate" now - a Toshiba that's pretty good.
So I've had to solder the power cord and only one USB connector works....
But I want it so I can sit outdoors and read the forum :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby D1Wayne on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:21 pm

if video is share memory does ios allow you to resuce it, while in there perhaps resetting to factory defaukts and in possible to turn-off power management until install is complete might be helpfully

of course these are off the wall thoughts, that comes to one who gets but 2 hours sleep every 36 to 48 hours, has double vision in both eyes and is mildly dyslexic :D :D
D1Wayne
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:13 pm

who gets but 2 hours sleep every 36 to 48 hours

uurrkk!
Even worse than when I worked the most :)
Why, if I may ask?

As for turning off anything in BIOS in a Compaq :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby D1Wayne on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:30 pm

when I first started in computers, old tab equipt ibm360/40 (more than a few days ago) was workin 6 days a week in the xerox dept, most computer work, was finished by 2:30am to 3:00, I get the bestie all to my own till 5:45am and everything had to be back in place exactly. that lasted 4 2 months, became jr. operator 4 days a week graveyard. Still running xerox during days.
within 6mos learned enough BAL and Cobol and RPG they made me systems programmer, *and of course only late night back then fir systems work, Still also head of xerox dept during days, That went on for over 7 years, then we got some to take over xerox dept :D :D

since then if I sleep more than 4 hours, I get stiff and sore, as I use to get when I was a kid and really over drank, but every 4 to 5 days, I'll sleep 6 to 12 hours straight (and feel real lousy):)
D1Wayne
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other topics