Can't Update

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't Update

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:24 pm

Getting this message when trying to update. I've tried this command in terminal with no results. E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Terminal I run sudo 'dpkg --configure -a'
Tells me command not found
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby exploder on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:41 pm

The command should work. I would try again in case there was an error in the command.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, I've tried the command 5 times still nothing. Thanks again for the reply. Bru
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:09 pm

now I get this message;
E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm

I think my problem started when I tried to down load virtualbox for Ubuntu from their web site. Install froze, I shut down and restarted my laptop. Now nothing can be updated. Thanks for any help - I have tried to rm virtualbox, terminal says no such file.
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi
May sound silly, but you are using sudo dpkg --configure -a and not sudo 'dpkg --configure -a'?

Also have you tried opening Synaptic/Edit/Fix broken packages

Nick[/quote]
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks Nick I've tried both ways with and without 'marks' and synaptic won't let me in just shows this error;
E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

I can't think of anything else to try! Synaptic shows error and hit close button or X and Synaptic shuts down. I've right clicked on * install icon, just keeps showing error. Is there a place where I can delete the upload from virtualbox. In /var thier is a locked folder that I can't open, could that be where my problem is hiding?
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi
I pasted
into Google and got:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2743028

It does suggest unistaling Synaptic then reinstalling, a bit drastic!

Have you tried downloading Virtualbox to home directory and then installing it
(I assume you where "opening with gdebi" when dowloading)

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks for trying Nick. I followed the Ubuntu post same results. Yes I was using gdebi when I downloaded virtualbox. I tried redownloading virtualbox and gdebi tells me I don't have permission to open this locked file? I think I'll reload the operating system, I've been using Ubuntu for about 7 months and just loaded Mint Cassandra about a 3 days ago. Very nice OS, runs well on my HP4272us laptop until I screwed up. I'll reformat and reinstall. I'm running XP pro, Ubuntu fiesty and Mint Cassandra. Can't wait to get my main box up and running, lost the motherboard the other day, should have a new one here in a couple of days. Then I can really play. Thanks for all the help. Its really great the way everyone just helps everyone in need.....Thanks
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:28 pm

I've run into a similar problem my self and helped some people with such problems
One guy found
I found the solution to the problem after googling around a little, and it is really very simple. It seems that the problem occurs when the *.bin files in
Code:
/var/cache/apt/

become corrupted. Why they become corrupted seems to be a mystery and I don't have the time or knowledge to try to dig any further into this. But apparently it seems to just happen... Confused

The solution is to delete all *.bin files in that directory (which requires using sudo). After doing that, both Synaptic and apt-get work fine for me. I hope that this information can help others who get this problem. Cool

Then we have
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get check

use man apt-get to see all alternatives
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby bru88 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 pm

Thanks Husse for doing all that work, last week I was upgrading my main computer and had backed up all my music and movies. Lost my motherboard after upgrade, so I just reformatted my laptop, now I'm only running Mint 3.0. Seems to be a bit more polished than Fiesty, and a very easy transition . I still have another 7 hours just to transfer my movies. Thank you again for the help it was easier to reformat and reinstall. Time to clear XP it was running to slow, will Dual Boot my main computer in a few days. Still like to visit Windows about every 6 months or so. Thanks again for the help. Bru88
bru88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:02 am

Hope you put home on its own partition - nagging :)
It's really useful
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics