Main differences with ubuntu?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Main differences with ubuntu?

Postby AvalonSpirit on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:34 am

I am thinking about installing mint as my second OS, I have ubuntu feisty right now. and wanted to know the main differences between mint and ubuntu.

-AS
AvalonSpirit
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Ede on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:19 am

Mint is like ubuntu and uses the same repo's, so they arent very different.
The main difference, and the main reason for using mint, is because it comes with codeks and stuff so you can listen to mp3's, watch movies and dvd's without the need of downloading them yourself.

It's basicaly more 'out of the box'.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Boo on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 am

well the best way to find out is to try the live CD.

the big ones for me are the mint tools like:
mint menu
mintdisk
mint software portal (that uses the mint installer.
and the fact that all those nice extras (plugins, codecs...) are installed by default or are only a click away (envy for ati/nvidia dirvers).

oh yer and a great forum community.

the best thing is I now don't get calls from my dad asking why/where/how something does not work etc. just install and go.

hope this helps and I'll be glad to see you in the forums.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby AvalonSpirit on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:39 am

I think i'll try it out (on another partrition) and see how it goes, although i'm pretty happy with feisty at the moment. I just discovered envy yesterday, and that made a huge difference.
The codecs might be nice, although i've already installed most of them on my machine.
I guess i'll be visiting the forums.
AvalonSpirit
Level 1
Level 1

LinuxMint = UbuntuPlus

Postby capricornus on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:25 am

Avalon, I do understand your doubts. Ubuntu runs, isn't it, and that's giving you a good feeling. But once in a while you'll run into apps that require a codec you just forgot about.
Well, there comes Mint and it has all these things already working. And it has an easy well thought-off interface, and certainly looks nicer than Ubuntu. Download and experience Mint, your UbuntuPlus.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby KrazyPenguin on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:05 pm

I just installed Mint a couple of days ago, and I have been using Ubuntu with dual boot XP for about 1 1/2 years.

I had so much junk on my Ubuntu install (installed KDE) and I had like 50 applications in each menu (over exaggerating) and I needed a little change so I installed Mint.

I tried other OSes like PCLinux (won't install grub properly - can't boot) , mepis (anything using KNetworkmanger is supper slow connecting to my wireless network) Sabayon (to bloaty and slow), Vector (wouldn't even boot) and others.

Ubuntu just works with a little tweaking, running Automatix. Once you have it all setup it just works!!! :shock:

But Mint looks so much better and I like the MintMenu and a lot of the applications installed by default. I hate Evolution and Rhymbox.
I like Thunderbird, Amorak, and I was even using Sunbird which installed by default. Anyway, Mint has a better selection of default applications as well as codecs and pluggins for multimedia.

Community is small, but GREAT!! and you can always use the Ubuntu forums to find answers as well.

MINT = Supped up Ubuntu !!!

Like to mention as well that I installed a few things using Automatix (Fiesty version) which does work with mint Cassandra.

I also used the software portal with mint.

Everything just works with a little tweaking here and there ;-)
KrazyPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics