Reinstalling Cassandra

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Reinstalling Cassandra

Postby antiquexray on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:36 am

Since my sound up and quit working (see "Need Sound Help" elsewhere on the Forum), it works just fine off the livecd, and I don't know how to fix it, I guess I'm going to have to reinstall Cassandra. I've backed up my home folder, but I was wondering if there's a way to reinstall without over writing the home folder.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:08 pm

you might be able to move you /home to another partition.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition

if not when you reinstall make a /home partition just for this type of thing and upgrades.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Sorensei on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:18 am

...and if I might add, once you've got your separate home partition and you reinstall, when you indicate that yes, you want /home in there, doublecheck you have mentioned not to reformat this one... happened to me once, realised the mistake one second too late. Ah, backups are such wonderful things! :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby churchi on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:02 am

yup moving you're /home to another partition is the best way.

last week i tried pclos when i had just moved from ubuntu, then to pclos for a few days then to linux mint.
every time i moved a distro to give it a try, i had my home on another partition and it just keeps (most of) your settings and applys them on the new OS. its a breeze, but so long as you don't format the wrong partition during the install. :o
churchi
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics