auto background download of patches

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

auto background download of patches

Postby churchi on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:13 am

Hi All,

well im new here on Mint, and i have to say i love it so far :) everything just works and not needed to add much more packages to the system for my everyday use.

now i have come over from Ubuntu Feisty and i have been looking for one option that i liked on that distro.

somewhere i found an option to set the patches to auto download and just sit up on the menu bar until i am ready to install them. currently they just notify me when there is a new patch out, however i would like them to download while i am at work or away from the pc, and then ask me when i would like to install them.
this was very handy for me and i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to get this turned on in Mint Cassandra

im sorry if this has been posted, but i couldn't find another topic through the search.

thanks
churchi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:02 pm

It is in the same place as fiesty since they use the same updater.

so go to administratin--> software sources.
go to the updates tab.
choose "download all updates in the background" under automatic updates.
and tick the ubuntu updates you wish to check.
then close.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby churchi on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:43 am

hey boo,

thanks for the reply. gee i really thought i was silly there for a moment in not being able to find the software sources icon. however the icon is missing from my administration menu. is there a way to get it back or what is the command i can run from the terminal to get it back please?

thanks for you're helpo
churchi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:35 pm

You can get to the same software source app via synaptic, it has a repositories option in one of its menus.

if you go to control center--> desktop --> menulist you can add and remove apps from mintmenu that are listed in each of the sections. software sources should be under administration.

Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby churchi on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:30 am

hey Boo,

well i got into the menu editing part, however software sources is not an option to put a cross next to so it will show up on the mint menu. i can however add an icon manually, but i don't know the paths etc for software sources.

is there anything else i can do to get this software sources back on my menu please?
churchi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 am

It looks like it has been removed.
you can only get to it from synaptic repositories and it is called repositories.
it must be a synaptic internal app now.

Or I have been screwing up my system too much lately. :lol:

Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby churchi on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:30 am

hey Boo,

thanks again for the reply, however i still can't seem to find it in the repositories section.

see this link and it will show you what i see:

[img=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5107/synapticpic1mn0.th.png]

Am i still missing something? There seems to be more options in the Settings --> Preferences but still not the one i am after.

any other suggestions?

cheers
churchi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:34 pm

well that looks like a crappy version of it or a very basic version.

I can not check mint ATM but if you want software source code on ubuntu you just tick the source code box on the first tab in the software sources app.

the software sources application is called software-properties-gtk and can be run from the command line with a sudo.

sudo software-properties-gtk

try that first, or the manual way next.

the software source repos if you want to add them manually all start with deb-src. so if you want just add them to the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list file you could just copy a line and replace the deb at the start of the line with deb-src.

here is the main one though.

deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu fiesty-security main restricted universe multiverse

I hope the gui works out though.
if it is not present try looking for it in synaptic.

I will now leave you with the mess i created.

Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics