Desktop Drive Icons: All or None? [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Desktop Drive Icons: All or None? [SOLVED]

Post by Dr.U »

Hi,

I've finally upgraded to Cassandra and enjoy it very much :!: However, I have a question, to which I have yet to find a posting that would answer it.

I have 2 hard drives with many partitions and various linux distros, etc. on them. No fat or ntfs partitions -- all are ext3 or a swap. On the desktop I see all of the partitions, and they all are already mounted. I changed fstab mount options to

Code: Select all

noauto,rw,user,exec
for those that I did not want to see on the desktop (or at least not have mounted after booting) but this did nothing to change the original condition :shock: So where can I change this? I only wish to have a couple of ext3 partitions auto-mounted and appearing on the desktop, all others should not be auto-mounted and not even be visible on the desktop.

With the MintDesktop and MintDisk applets I only seem to be able to make the desktop display either all partitions or no partitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-- Dr.U
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A child of five would understand this! Send someone
to fetch a child of five..." -- Groucho Marx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

noauto,rw,user,exec

for those that I did not want to see on the desktop (or at least not have mounted after booting) but this did nothing to change the original condition
If you don't want the partition mounted just remove it from fstab (better maybe to comment the line) but it's not clear to me what you really want...

Mintdisk has got nothing to do with ext3 - it only deals with FAT and NTFS.
In mintdesktop you can choose if you want the mounted disks on the desktop or not, but there is no option to have only some of the mounted partitions shown (as far as I know)
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr.U »

Husse wrote:If you don't want the partition mounted just remove it from fstab (better maybe to comment the line) but it's not clear to me what you really want...
Thanks for the reply, Husse. I guess I was not clear enough in my post. What I want is to have only specific partitions automatically mounted and displayed on the desktop. The others should not be visible.

It looks like I just need to remove or comment out from fstab the partitions that I do not wish to have auto-mounted and then they will not appear on the desktop either.

Mint is super -- and so are its forum members :!:

Thanks again,
-- Dr. U
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer."
-- Yogi Berra

Return to “Other topics”