Dumb question #5 ... Cameras!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Dumb question #5 ... Cameras!

Postby gerj on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I can't download pics from my camera. When I first plug in my camera the computer recognizes it and asks if I want to download pictures but when I click yes it all disappears and the camera is not recognized. I even downloaded Picasa which also recognizes my camera but doesn't recognize any pictures.

I know somone out there will tell me to check the Wiki .... I did, but was unable to find anything.

Once again, HELP PLEASE!
gerj
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:45 pm

Do you have a card reader in your system? Why not plug out the card and plug it into the PC directly? For the system it will be a "disk drive" and you can drag & drop your photos where you want them.

Also: Some cameras, e.g. the newer ones from HP, need to be setup via their own setup menu (in the camera!) and you need to define how the camera should show itself to a computer. e.g. on my HP PhotoSmart R927 I had to change this particular setting from "Camera" to "Disk Drive" or else it would not work under Linux.

Now when I plugin the camera into my systems they think they have a "new USB disk drive" and will show me the camera's file system with all the photographs on it 8) ... This solved the problem in my case.

Maybe your camera has a similar setting? Did you check that?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby speaker219 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:00 pm

You need to find the particular settings for your camera (i was using a sony cybershot) for it to work with linux. Look for the USB settings in your camera. for me, You then need to change the USB "mode" (This may be called something different on your camera)
to something like "Disk drive" or "Mass storage device"

otherwise, the camera uses a different method to connect to the computer, which usually does not work in linux. But if you set the correct settings, linux will mount it like it is a pen/flash drive
speaker219
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:45 pm

I had a similar problem the other night on someone else's computer.
I plugged in my ixus 40, it detects it and asks if i want to import, yes, then nothing happens.
so i open f-spot (photo management app) select import and there is my camera, i select the photos and copy/import them. all done.

i think there is a term conflict with what import means between different apps and people/english.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Camera

Postby gerj on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the inputs ... it's appreciated.
gerj
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics