How do I remove unwanted fonts?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How do I remove unwanted fonts?

Postby lawsonrc on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:10 pm

I have installed the Microsoft Core fonts.

However, there is a long list of fonts that come with Ubuntu based distros that are from India and the Middle East.

When I wish to switch fonts in OpenOffice, the list is very long and I wish to shorten it to make font switching faster.

How can I remove some of these fonts to make the list shorter?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Richard L.
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby speaker219 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:21 am

You can delete the fonts you don't want from this folder:
fonts:///
Just enter that into the location bar in Nautilus.
speaker219
Level 2
Level 2

Postby lawsonrc on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am

Many thanks, speakr219.

Do I need to do this as root? That is, by opening the Run command and typing gksu or gksudo nautilus?

Or can I just do this as user?

Also, do you or anyone else know if these Indian/Middle Eastern fonts are required by other apps outside of OpenOffice?

Richard L.
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ede on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:59 am

You should generally never open nautilus as sudo. It's dangerous.

You could just use a rm-command from the terminal. Direct the terminal to the folder /usr/share/fonts/
It's the same as fonts:///, just categorized in folders.

If you want to delete all thai-fonts,
Code: Select all
sudo rm -r /usr/share/fonts/truetype/thai
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lawsonrc on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks Ede for the advice,

I had already tried your suggestion before posting. However, when I opened up Writer again, the long list was there, but the 50 or so fonts were disabled (because they weren't there). So the only way to make the list short is to actually remove them from the actual fonts folder called "fonts:///", as Speaker219 suggested. (BTW, I moved them to a new folder in my home directory, then returned them when it didn't work.)

I appreciate your note of caution, though I disagree with your absolute "never". If we should never do it, then the option wouldn't be there. I am an experienced Linux user who realizes the risks. Also, I am a mature, careful person. Additionally, Linux is about choice, so I feel based on my experience and maturity I can handle doing this on a root Nautilus just fine.

I do agree with you for the new Linux user: from newbie to low intermediate, a word of caution is always wise.

So back to my question: will removing these Indian and Middle Eastern fonts affect any other program/application outside of Open Office?

Many thanks,

Richard L.
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ede on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 pm

lawsonrc wrote:I had already tried your suggestion before posting. However, when I opened up Writer again, the long list was there, but the 50 or so fonts were disabled (because they weren't there). So the only way to make the list short is to actually remove them from the actual fonts folder called "fonts:///", as Speaker219 suggested. (BTW, I moved them to a new folder in my home directory, then returned them when it didn't work.)

That was strange. fonts:/// is just a hot-dir for all fonts in the /usr/share/fonts-folders. Maybe fonts:/// is just cached fonts, or atlest the existence of them, and needed re-caching. Did you try to log-out then in?

lawsonrc wrote:I appreciate your note of caution, though I disagree with your absolute "never". [...] I am an experienced Linux user who realizes the risks. Also, I am a mature, careful person. Additionally, Linux is about choice, so I feel based on my experience and maturity I can handle doing this on a root Nautilus just fine.

I didn't state anything that would suggest that you're not experienced, mature or careful. And my never was never "absolute". I said that in 'general', one should never open nautilus as root. That's not a statement of absoluteness.

lawsonrc wrote:If we should never do it, then the option wouldn't be there.

If your in a park and there's a child sitting there, you should never kick it without reason, though the option is there. :3

lawsonrc wrote:So back to my question: will removing these Indian and Middle Eastern fonts affect any other program/application outside of Open Office?

Doubtfully. I don't think they are in direct use in any other software.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lawsonrc on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi Ede,

Yes, in fact I rebooted.

Thanks. Since it shouldn't harm any other software, I'll proceed.

(Sorry for being a little grumpy...I had just received news that my nephew is in a hospice and may not live past this weekend.)

Richard L.
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ede on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:41 am

My condolences... =/
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lawsonrc on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks Ede...and again thank you for taking the time to help me. I do appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Richard
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED!

Postby lawsonrc on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:20 pm

The way to remove all these fonts is to use the Synaptic Package Manager. Click on Search and type in fonts. There are about 12 folders with these Middle Eastern and Indian fonts.

In order for them to be removed from the list in OpenOffice completely, in Synaptic you must choose "Mark for Complete Removal". (Don't worry, if you want to re-install them, they will remain in the Synaptic list for re-installation.)

Through Synaptic I installed the msttfonts, as these are important for websites as well as for exchanging docs with my friends who use MS Office in Windows.

I also added some very nice fonts from Mandriva (and also PCLinuxOS) that are called "decoratives".

Perhaps this will help someone else who wishes the similar options as I.

If you are happy with the fonts provided by Ubuntu/LinuxMint, then enjoy them and don't make any changes.

After all, Linux is about freedom to choose...and to personalize to one's own taste.

Sincerely,

Richard
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics