cannot login...no login screen

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

cannot login...no login screen

Postby lawsonrc on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 pm

I was exploring mintconfig and saw login photo. So I chose a photo, then restarted the computer.

After booting up it never gets to the login screen so that I can log in. I just get a black background with the little round icon spinning around.

I went into Recovery Mode, typed in my password and startx and got the root desktop. (I know this is not advised and many say NEVER do this, but I had no choice since I didn't have cli knowledge to fix this. I was very careful :D ) After long exploration, I found nothing that would help.

I don't want to re-install (ugh!)

All help is greatly appreciated.

Richard L.
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

GDM not running....

Postby lawsonrc on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:01 pm

I think my problem is the GDM is not running, as I've seen this message a couple of times.

How do I get GDM running again?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard L.
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby carlos on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Unfortunately I had the same problem on a laptop with a nvidia graphics card, 2 days of searching google and nothing to show :? You should try to reinstall. Although in my case it really didn't help as I kept getting the same blank screen after login.

did you try to reconfigure xserver? If you do the key combo of "ctrl + f2" of any of the function keys it will bring you to a terminal. You can do that as soon as u get the blank screen. make sure to type dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in terminal. That will start to reconfigure xserver, just answer the questions and keep your fingers crossed. For some people that has worked, others like myself nothing...
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lawsonrc on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi Carlos,

Well, I tried what you suggested for xserver, went through all the questions, but had no luck.
I wanted to retrieve my documents, pictures, downloaded themes from gnome-look.org, and other goodies. So I booted into PCLinuxOS and was able get to my LinuxMint /home directory to put everything I needed onto both a thumb-/ flashdrive and burned them onto a cd (for extra measure).

I reinstalled (30 minutes), copied all my stuff in the new /home folder, used Synaptic to delete all the Asian and MidEastern fonts and downloaded the msttfonts, changed my Theme to LiNsta3 and my icons--a different theme (45 minutes). Put OpenOffice Quickstarter on the systray, then dragged and dropped other shortcuts onto the panel from the Cassandra menu.

So now all is good to go! :wink:

I've always been a KDE guy, but Cassandra is the best Gnome I've ever experienced! (My Mandriva club expires in 30 days and I'll probably not renew now that I have LM Cassandra and PCLinuxOS. Unfortunately, Bianca KDE was unstable on the laptop.) I now will spend equal time in LM Gnome and PCLOS KDE for fun!

Thanks for all your help....AND from now on I'll back up all my files on a regular basis! (Thank goodness I'm a distro "slut" and can get into each of them from the other on my lappy!)

Sincerely,

Richard
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics