blank dvd

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

blank dvd

Postby ronan on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:59 am

For some reason, none of my blank dvds are recognized. When I try to access a blank dvd, i get this message:

Unable to mount media.
There is probably no media in the drive.

I know the dvd drive works because I am able to watch movies, but i want to be able to burn data to a blank dvd
ronan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:19 am

Is this a trick question?

you can not mount nothing, which is what a blank DVD is.

If you open a DVD burning app like K3B or braseo then you can list what you want to burn to the DVD.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ronan on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:06 am

When i use k3b it keeps telling me to insert a blank dvd, even though there is a blank dvd in the drive
ronan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zenobiaflex on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:09 am

ronan wrote:When i use k3b it keeps telling me to insert a blank dvd, even though there is a blank dvd in the drive

I wonder if this is similar to a problem I just noticed. I can open CDs in my CD\DVD-RW drives (I have two different brands) and use the files contained therein, but I can only open DVDs. If I try to open a file or copy it to my desktop it gives me an error. From looking on the Ubuntu forum it seems that it may (not sure yet) have something to do with a setting in fstab. Some people have reported that if you see:

ISO9660, UDF (or something like this) in the line that has your CD\DVD-RW, then the DVD portion doesn't work right. Some claim that if you change this to just say auto then it does work. I have yet to try this since it is a problem I just realized last night. Supposedly the comma is not a valid thing to have in the line so only the ISO part is recognized. I also read on the Ubuntu forum that putting auto could potentially cause some problem in burning, but it was vague and mostly theoretical. Anyway... not sure if this is something that other people have been seeing, but when I search for DVD not working in google or the forum I get a lot of junk and have to sift heavily.

Anyway... could be worth testing... before you make any changes look on the ubuntu forum
zenobiaflex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zenobiaflex on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 am

Ok... in my instance changing to "auto"in fstab fixed theproblem. I can now read DVD's too.
zenobiaflex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:35 am

When you insert a blank CD or DVD the CD burning program in Nautilus (unless KDE) asks you what you want to do with the disc - burn a DVD or so...
When I try to access a blank dvd

this is not liked as Boo wrote...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics