No network connection, but internet still works?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

No network connection, but internet still works?

Postby havedampton on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:21 am

For the last few weeks, the icon for my network connection has shown no connection and, upon selection, shows both enable networking as checked and also says "no network devices have been found", which cannot be true since I am currently connected to the internet and writing this post.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a wireless ethernet bridge connection on this machine with wireshark, but it shows no interfaces (a la the "no network devices have been found", I imagine).

Any suggestions?

thanks

dave
havedampton
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:25 pm

the network manager applet next to the clock is different to network in administration epically with wireless.

there are some bugs with cassandra/feisty and wireless hence the 2 wireless problems fixes sticky post.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2577

your problem may be related to this.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Not a wireless problem

Postby havedampton on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:12 am

This problem isn't a wireless problem. The problem also happened when I was connected to my dsl router via ethernet, and the beauty of the wireless ethernet bridge I'm using is that it (as far as the network manager is concerned) is not a wireless connection, but an ethernet connection.

The problem was not there for the first few months I've been running Bianca.

I noticed one day that it said the connection was not there (this was when I was via the dsl ethernet), but everything still worked fine so I didn't really care- until now when I'm trying to use wireshark and the thing tells me there's no interfaces.

Anybody?

thanks
havedampton
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lolo Uila on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:02 pm

I have this same problem running Ubuntu on my PS3. It says no network connection, but I am connected because I can go on-line. This indicates it could be a problem with Ubuntu rather than Mint.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Boo on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:10 am

it is the network manager applet.
it says there is no network connection, screen with a red/white X on it.
this is because the network was not setup using the network manager applet, but networking is setup by default as dhcp.

yes it is a feisty thing.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Other topics