shut down problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

shut down problem

Postby mickel on Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:02 pm

I'm using an Hp desktop Celeron coppermine 667 with i 810 and 384 ram .

Mint3.0 runs perfectly and I like it best of all distros. Only problem is at normal shutdown it hangs at final "Mint" screen and will not shut down. I read the answer given suggesting editing the shut down sequence and I tried it several times but I'm just not geekey enough to fix it. (willing but too dumb)
I need a step by step instruction or assurance by someone knowledgeable that it won't hurt anything if I just turn it off at this final screen.

ps all othe distros show me as having hda and Mint shows me as having sda ? why is that I wonder?
Thanks for any help
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Welcome ti Mint mickel
To begin with the easy part - hda changing to sda has to do with the new kernel naming drives sda instead of hda - but not always - it's a bit confusing.
You don't hurt anything as long as you turn off the computer when it's idle (even when the desktop is shown - but I don't recommend it)
As you have an old computer I think this helps:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... hut&t=3580
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

shutdown problem

Postby mickel on Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:07 pm

well you were right ! I had seen this solution before and tried it but I could never get to the place where I added the line of code. After your post I went back and tried again , and again etc. and finally I got it right and viola ! it worked.
Question: I typed" sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst " exactly the same way, several times and only after 5 or 6 times did I get the sought after response. ?
Question two: in the solution you refer to , the writer has a newer kernel and it is labeled Cassandra kernel 2.16.21. and mine is generic 2.16.20. How is this when they are both 3.0 +
Thanks
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:54 am

To start with the second question, it is
title Cassandra, kernel 2.6.21.5

You can put anything as title - My favorite Linux - if you wish
The kernel is updated by the Update manager so Cassandra or Feisty may have several kernels depending on update or no update
I don't have an answer to sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst not working until your fifth try. But I think you did not type it exactly the same - it's so easy to miss a space or something
The terminal has an excellent history function. In a terminal press the up (or down arrows) and you'll see every command you've typed for a long time.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics