Minimize anything and its gone

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Minimize anything and its gone

Postby maprx on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:19 pm

Well that sums it up, my desktop has become corrupt. If I min a window, open firefox in front of another ap, that ap is gone and so is all the other windows of firefox if i min them as well. My desktop has beome corrupt, any ideas before a complete reinstall?
maprx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Minimize anything and its gone

Postby Dr.U on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 am

maprx wrote:Well that sums it up, my desktop has become corrupt. If I min a window, open firefox in front of another ap, that ap is gone and so is all the other windows of firefox if i min them as well. My desktop has beome corrupt, any ideas before a complete reinstall?

Some more information would be useful: e.g. are you using KDE or Gnome or something else?

I use Gnome and would suggest that you first check that your panel still has a "windows list" as this is where your minimized apps "go" (i.e. this is where you still can see them for popping them up again). If you are not sure if a window list is there, try adding one anyway. This is how it's done with Gnome:

1. Right-click (if you use a left-handed mouse then left-click) on the panel to get the panel's context menu

2. Select "Add to Panel..."

3. In the "Desktop & Windows" section select "Windows List"

4. Click on the button "Add"

Now try starting something (e.g. a text editor) and then try minimizing it. If you still do not see it in the panel, then something else is wrong.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A child of five would understand this! Send someone
to fetch a child of five." -- Groucho Marx
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Postby surfer57 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 am

Perfect solution going to panel and adding window list....thank you....I am not worthy!
surfer57
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics