gui login issue

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

A change in grub should not result in this - but could :)
(I think)
Please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: gui login issue

Post by scorp123 »

freedomphon wrote:any thoughts?
Sounds like you messed around with the permissions of your original account and now GNOME can't read its settings anymore. Non-GUI logins still work because those files are most likely ignored for shell-only logins.

I suggest you compare the permissions of all the GNOME-relevant files and sub-directories (and all the files underneath those), e.g.
  • .config
    Desktop
    .dmrc
    .gconf
    .gconfd
    .gnome
    .gnome2
    .gnome2_private
    .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
    .metacity
Please note that this is obviously from my system, so it could be that you may not have all items listed above.

So please compare that file list and the permissions between the account that works and the one that doesn't work anymore.

Directories should be owned by your normal user and your user's group (both could have the same name), and permissions on those directories should be 755 (or 750 if you want to be restrictive); permissions on normal files should be 644 (or 640 if you want to be restrictive). And in case you don't understand what those numbers mean:

Code: Select all

man chmod
man chown
And please: Do not use the "-R" parameter (see the man page) and do not recursively change permissions unless one of the local gurus here tells you to, OK? :wink: People often get tempted to use a "chmod -R ..." in all the wrong places. :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's not the grub - I thought that you could have made recovery mode the standard choice or added some parameters that should not be there...
So check permissions, and it can't be emphasized enough - be careful.

Return to “Other topics”