Desktop Effects

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Desktop Effects

Postby DFergATL on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Well I played around with Beryl and have really made myself a mess. I would like to know how to just reset this all back to the way it came...please.
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby newW2 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm not sure I understand the request. Are you wanting to remove Beryl? You can do that in synaptic.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Don't want to remove

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 am

I am not wanting to remove Beryl I was playing with Beryl. Now when I turn on "Desktop Effects" I get a lot of strange things happening. This didn't start until I played with Beryl. Now I can't get things back to the way it was when I first intalled Mint.

I know that I could format the drive and reinstall the entire thing again. But I have spent hours getting this installed, updated, configured, and additional software download for a friend of mine. I don't want to have to go through all that again....

Dave
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 am

Code: Select all
rm -rf .beryl*
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Boo on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 am

you could try to reconfigure the xserver and/or beryl via the command line:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

or/and

sudo dpkg-reconfigure beryl

(beryl may not be the correct name for the package.)

you could try the beryl one first.
this should reset it to the installed state.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 am

Boo wrote:this should reset it to the installed state.
But this doesn't have any influence on the various .beryl* config files in his home directory .... :wink: And those are the ones that become active when he switches beryl on. So it's enough just to remove those and leave the packages untouched. :wink:

And why do you recommend to re-configure the X.org server when X.org isn't even the problem? What if he hoses his currently working /etc/X11/xorg.conf with your suggestion? :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Ok tried this

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 am

scorp123 wrote:
rm -rf .beryl*

I did this. There is something very strange going on here. When I turn on Desktop effects. I loose the window borders with the close/min/max buttons. So, I can't move, min, close a window unless I use the taskbar. Also something seems to happen and I am not able to type into a text box either.

Everything works fine if I disable Desktop Effects.
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Re-Install

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:49 am

I just went ahead and did a complete reinstall. I had the same strange thing happen. I didn't even go near the Beryl setting. I just turned on the Desktop Effects and poof. I just moved from Ubuntu to Mint. I can say that I did the same thing, on the same hardware, using ubuntu and got the wobbly windows and cube thing as expected... this not so much. But, I have a bigger problem that I need to resolve. So, I will leave this one till later.
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ok tried this

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:38 am

DFergATL wrote: I did this. There is something very strange going on here. When I turn on Desktop effects. I loose the window borders with the close/min/max buttons.
Probably you still got some window decorator settings that aren't right, e.g. you're trying to use a non-existant Emerald theme, or Emerald doesn't load anything because it can't find a config yet. You'd need to go to the Beryl Manager (red diamond icon in the system tray) and launch the Emerald Manager where you'd define window borders etc. which you want to use while Beryl is active.

Once the settings are stored everything should work as expected.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Re-Install

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:39 am

DFergATL wrote:I just went ahead and did a complete reinstall.
Overkill. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Ya I know

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:46 am

Ya, I know. Way overkill. I was surprised that the same thing happened. So, whatever it is it isn't something I did the first time... strange...
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hairy_Palms on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:19 am

I can say that I did the same thing, on the same hardware, using ubuntu and got the wobbly windows and cube thing as expected... this not so much. But, I have a bigger problem that I need to resolve. So, I will leave this one till later.

well, the answer to that ones simple, Ubuntu uses Vanilla Compiz which is far more stable and resource friendly, whereas mint uses Beryl which is a buggy POS that crashes every 5 seconds.
why do you think you have to specify a fallback wm in beryl?
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:21 am

DFergATL if you have followed my advice voiced repeatedly in the forum to put home on it's own partition you have to remove the config files for Beryl from your home folder.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:39 am

scorp123 wrote:
DFergATL wrote: I did this. There is something very strange going on here. When I turn on Desktop effects. I loose the window borders with the close/min/max buttons.
Probably you still got some window decorator settings that aren't right, e.g. you're trying to use a non-existant Emerald theme, or Emerald doesn't load anything because it can't find a config yet. You'd need to go to the Beryl Manager (red diamond icon in the system tray) and launch the Emerald Manager where you'd define window borders etc. which you want to use while Beryl is active.

Once the settings are stored everything should work as expected.

Ok, maybe I am just stupid. I went to the Emerald Manager. I can see all the themes. I can double click, single click, right click, left click. I can even drag the little theme things around the screen. But I can't seem to make one active.... How the heck to I use this thing??????
Last edited by DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Used Installer

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 am

Husse wrote:DFergATL if you have followed my advice voiced repeatedly in the forum to put home on it's own partition you have to remove the config files for Beryl from your home folder.

I used the installer that came with the Mint distro and followed it. So, if it isn't setup to do this.......
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Used Installer

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 pm

DFergATL wrote: I used the installer that came with the Mint distro and followed it. So, if it isn't setup to do this.......
No installer on this planet can replace human intelligence :wink:

And on UNIX-like operating systems (and Linux happens to be one of those) *you* are supposed to know what you do and not the OS or its installer.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kaboodle_fish on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 pm

DFergATL wrote:
scorp123 wrote:
rm -rf .beryl*

I did this. There is something very strange going on here. When I turn on Desktop effects. I loose the window borders with the close/min/max buttons. So, I can't move, min, close a window unless I use the taskbar. Also something seems to happen and I am not able to type into a text box either.

Everything works fine if I disable Desktop Effects.

Hi

What you need to do is go into the Beryl Manager (note, not the Beryl Settings Manager, the actual Manager itself) It is in Applications - System Tools - Beryl Manager.

From here choose "Select Window Decorator" and pick "Standard Beryl Decorator (Emerald)" This will bring back your titlebar with minimise, maximise, close, etc.

When in the Emerald Theme Manager, which you also access from the Beryl Manager, each time you select a different theme you should notice any open windows change their theme. There isn't actually a select or OK type button within Emerald.

Hope that all helps.
kaboodle_fish
Level 1
Level 1

OK,

Postby DFergATL on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:18 pm

Ok, so I'm not crazy. This is actually what I was doing. However, it isn't working. Using the Beryl manager. I can choose either the "Emerald" decorator or the "GTK" decorator. But, as soon as I start Beryl Manager. The window decor goes away and using either option in the Beryl Manger doesn't do anything.......
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kaboodle_fish on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Do you actually get 3d support? I mean have you tried anything like putting the cursor quickly to scale any open windows to see if things are working as they should be?
kaboodle_fish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Used Installer

Postby DFergATL on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:13 pm

scorp123 wrote:
DFergATL wrote: I used the installer that came with the Mint distro and followed it. So, if it isn't setup to do this.......
No installer on this planet can replace human intelligence :wink:

And on UNIX-like operating systems (and Linux happens to be one of those) *you* are supposed to know what you do and not the OS or its installer.

Ah, I get it. No one is allowed to learn. If you don't already know Linux then aparently, from your attitude, you should even bother tying it out. Not every one knows everything when they first start out. There is this little thing called a learning curve. I am sure you would probably be lost trying to assemble a 35mm projector without having spent time learning them. I can do them in my sleep.
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Other topics