Activating the Swap Partition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Activating the Swap Partition

Postby moorederodeo on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey, I've been using linux mint for about a month and a half now, and for I've just recently discovered that my 1.5GB swap partition is inactive. I went to the Ubuntu IRC to find help about it, and they redirected me to this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq#head-461f9b47005530e69c97cfc4c493224762a94488.

I followed the instructions: turning off swap, deleting the partition, recreating it, rebooting, mkswap, and then turning swap back on again. This last step of "swapon -a" returns the error message
Code: Select all
swapon: cannot stat /dev/disk/by-uuid/92e0e4bb-cdbc-4f0d-bbc0-626855e2b8a9: No such file or directory

I don't know what to do, as i've tried this several times to no avail. I don't know what to do next.
moorederodeo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 pm

the problem is that UUID partition designator (it is most likely wrong in your fstab file).
the UUID can change every time you create a partition in the same spot so you can not use the one from a previous partition creation.

you are best to change all the UUIDs in your fstab file to be /dev/sdaN which are in the comment above each UUID.

any way you should at least change the UUID and value in your fstab for the swap file to be the correct /dev/sdaN. eg. /dev/sda3.

using gparted will tell you what the /dev/sdaN value is.

good luck fixing.

BTW if you notice in the link you posted that they never mention UUID's.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby moorederodeo on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:00 pm

Holy... I come back home and check the thread, I take your advice, install gparted, start it up, but before I can do anything with it i right click on my swap partition, and lo and behold it says my swap drive is active. I had tried the UUID trick that you told me about earlier, but it still showed the same error message. Apparently, the error message didn't stop it from working, and now I have a fully functional swap partition. Thanks anyway, I appreciate the help, and love Linux Mint more now (that I can run many applications without the whole thing crashing).
moorederodeo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics