Partition Rezize

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Partition Rezize

Postby DFergATL on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:58 pm

I am trying to find a way to resize my ext3 Mint partition. I currently have 40gig uf unallocated space right after that partition. Gparted reports that it is not possiable to resize the ext3 partition. I thought that maybe it would work if ran from the bootable live CD, but alas this was not the case. If this is not an option then I have a different question, well I have this quesiton anyway.

If I created a new partition to be my home partition. Can I move my home partiton, all the data, and not mess up the OS?

Dave
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby ido on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:29 pm

I have moved my root and home partitions around my laptop more than once without any problem using qparted. I also read a few posts that urge caution while doing something like this. Then, if I felt that I need to do that I will go ahead, again, carefully.

Wish you luck,

Ido
I
ido
Level 1
Level 1

My biggest concern

Postby DFergATL on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:53 am

My biggest concern about moving using gparted is I don't know if the rest of the Linux will know that it has happened... Will the new home location be autmaticly seen as linux as home or will the whole thing blow up? Do I need to edit files after I move the data to tell the OS where it has moved to?? Or, and I do hope this is the case. When I use gparted and then just copy the files, this will work.
DFergATL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:54 am

Can I move my home partiton, all the data, and not mess up the OS?

Follow this:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics