How can i fix problem with X-server

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How can i fix problem with X-server

Postby kierane on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:35 am

hello,

i'm new to linux and still very prone to crashing my system every time i tinker with my settings. :lol:

this time it's with my video settings. i installed nvidia-glx-legacy and enabled it. now i cant log in to the X server. :cry:

prior to this, everything worked fine, but my 3d acceleration, which i hoped will work after installing the legacy driver. i have GeForce4 440 MX installed.

before moving to mint (i love mint!), i was using pclinuxos-2007, and was able to use 3d effects. decided to use mint because of it's new-user and all-users' friendliness.

i'd normally re-install when faced with difficult probs like this one, but i cant learn linux if i turn tail every time, can i?

i hope to become a power user with your help some day! :lol: :lol:

pls help...!!

thank you all.

note: i was able to remove the driver i installed(nvidia-glx-legacy) through the command line, but still cant use x.
kierane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:25 am

Welcome to Mint kierane
On my secondary computer I have a GeForce4 440 MX with the legacy driver working fine in both Mint Bianca and Ubuntu Feisty
Now I'll teach you a trick that generally helps in sitution like this - use the vesa driver!
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ms_as_well
The vesa driver always (almost) works, but does not give nice video - rather horrible. But you are up and running and can do basic tasks as installing a driver.
Use Envy to install the legacy driver and I think you should be alright. Does not hurt to see what happens if you let envy uninstall your driver first.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics