overheating problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregov
Level 1
Level 1

overheating problem

Post by gregov »

Hi,

For my first post I would like to thanks the people behind Linux mint. I just switch from ubuntu to mint, and I really find this distribution awesome.

However I just have a very annoying problem, but I'm not sure it is coming from mint. Since I installed it, my laptop overheats each time I watch a video and shuts down. When it is a video using flash it is even worse, in 5 or 10 minutes my computer stops.

I don't know if some people encounter the same problem or if I have a hardware problem.
Any help welcome ! Thanks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

HI gregov,
could you post some information of your hardware, video card brand and model , computer brand and model, stuff like that. :D
gregov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregov »

Hi Frank392,

Thanks for your answer.
My laptop is a dell inspiron 9300
processor intel centrino 1,7 GHz
graphic card ATI Radeon mobility M300 (I'm using the ATI driver)
512 MB of SDRAM

I should maybe add that I'm not using any 3d effects, and that the computer can run all day long as long as I don't watch any video.

Hope this can help, thanks again.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

It could be an ACPI problem where the acpi driver is reading the temp incorrectly and shutting down the system.
I have had this on an old system of mine. I had to turn off acpi at the bios and kernel level. that may have been over kill though.

well it looks like when your system is put under load the temp goes up and the system shuts down.

you could test this by ripping a CD to ogg format using the CD ripping program that i have forgotten the name of. hehe.
this should do the same as the video playing and shutdown the system in about the same time.
or you could install folding@home and run it to load up your system.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
gregov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregov »

thanks!

I'll try to run folding@home and see what is happening.
I was also wondering if it could come from using the ATI driver instead of the open source video driver. I'll switch back to the latter and see if my laptop keeps cool :lol:

Return to “Other topics”