Display resolution changed

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Display resolution changed

Postby gbotts on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:03 pm

I have been running a 1024x768 resolution untill today, when I started my computer the resolution somehow changed to 640x480. I have not been able to get it changed back to the 1024x768. I went to edit the stc/x11/xorg file but I found all the resolutions listed with the 1024x768 as default, just as it should be. Has anyone got an answer for this problem? I hate to reinstall, but I may have to do just that.
gbotts
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:11 pm

this normally happens when you start your computer with the monitor unplugged.

to be safe linux sees there is no monitor and so sets the resolution low so that any monitor plugged in will work.
but if you plug in your monitor and reboot (or maybe just restart the xserver) the resolution should go back to normal.

a reinstall is not the answer.

you may also be able to use the screen resolution app to change it.

I dont know how "smart" the auto screen resolution is. any more info you can give about the how and when would be helpful.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby hairy_Palms on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:48 am

if that fails try running
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome
for some reason my user settings were overriding xorg and i did that to fix it.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Thank-you very much taking the time to help

Postby gbotts on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 pm

Thanks to Boo and Harry palms for the help! I tried all the info but in the end entering sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome must have forced it to see the other resolution options. When I rebooted and went to the resolution app,I found the other resolution options for the first time since this problem began. Proper resolution once again!! Many thanks!
gbotts
Level 1
Level 1

Postby surfer57 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Oh yeah, sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome .... that did it...thanks hairy...I am not worthy
surfer57
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics