Annoying graphics problem...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Annoying graphics problem...

Postby gabemorris on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:50 pm

Long version:
Hi. I used to be an avid user of Linux Mint "Bianca", and I loved it. It met all of my needs and everything worked fairly well. But then when Feisty was released Linux Mint told me I should upgrade, so I did... thats when all of this trouble started.

I was excited, and Linux Mint seemed to be updating fine, but when it finished it asked me to restart my computer. I did gladly, but when i turned my computer back on I got a black screen with white text saying that GDM had failed to load and I should restart it when I fixed the problem. So I typed "sudo envy" and updated my graphics drivers because I thought it was merely a driver problem. So after that, I restarted my computer and I got the same error, and nothing i did could fix the problem. So I thought "Alright, I'll go back to Ubuntu and download Linux Mint and install it after I get it" But I noticed something strange, Ubuntu (Feisty)'s screen resolution program said my max resolution was 800 X 600. So then I downloaded nVidia's graphics drivers (for the 6100 that I have) and installed them, restarted and found that I still couldn't get out of the 800 X 600 resolution. I looked in the xorg.conf and every file that was reccomendded for me. And there was no answer.
I tried installing Linux Mint Bianca again but it gave me a long complicated error and restarted my computer almost instantly.
Then I went back to Windows XP, (i could use any resolution I wanted) and waited for Cassandra to come out, then I got Cassandra XFCE edition (because only Debian/Ubuntu GNOME distros seem to be affected) and I avidly burned it to a disk and installed it. And then I rebooted hoping for the best and I got the error saying something like
"Cannot find /etc/init.d/kdm
Error: Cannot start GDM"
So then I used envy to install nVidia graphics drivers and it didn't work then I installed Ubuntu 6.10 and manually updated to 7.04 (which is the only way I can ever get a decent screen resolution) and (yay) it works.
I would really appreciate any help you can give to me :D

Shorter version:
I get an error when I try to install Linux Mint Casandra XFCE edition saying that some file called KDM is missing and that it couldn't start GDM. Envy updating the graphics has no effects, and the only way I can get a decent resolution (1280 X 1024) is by manually updating via the Terminal to Feisty. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
gabemorris
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:38 am

The next time you write somehting in the forum please break it up in smaller sections with a line break in between

There's nothing wrong with your language, but such a massive block of text is hard to read.
I can't really say anything about "the long story"
About the short story - you must never use the "dist-upgrade" option for Mint - it destroys the Mint specific.
It will not be there in future releases and Mint will use the software portal for that.
I think you have a bad CD - have you checked the md5sum and burned at slow speed?

Have not seen anything about your problem.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby gabemorris on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:41 pm

thanks for your help. im now on a working (YES) mint gnome edition. and I like it.
sorry about the umm... long post. i get carried away in detail sometimes :oops:
gabemorris
Level 1
Level 1

Postby laofzu on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:08 pm

I have a Dell C521 with the Nvidia 6100 Graphics Card. I have also had similar problems, but found a way to avoid them. First, when installing Linux Mint, use the Safe Graphics option. After installation, use the Restricted Drivers Manager to install the proprietary drivers for Nvidia. You should have no problem then. If you use Envy, you can correct the problem of only having the 800x600 option by running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from a terminal. I hope this helps.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:07 am

There's no problem with the length of your post :lol:
It's just that with the font size I (and a lot of people I presume) use in Firefox you get a lot of lines close to each other and the eyes have a bit of a problem to "know" where to read.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics