Problems

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

ksteezy: please provide some more information. What do you mean by: "can't access my computer at all"? Blank screen, no cursor, nothing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If you hit escape at the grub prompt (the short count down at the start of the boot) you should get a menu that will let you boot back into Windows.

As for your Linux problem, why can't you get into Linux, specifically?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes I was just trying to imagine what "can't get into it", looked like? :? :) :) :)

Lolo Uila: how's the weather there right now?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

ksteezy,

Linux log-ins are case sensitive. Make sure you are using the proper case when logging in. Usernames are all lower-case, and passwords can be anything.

newW2,

The weather has been very sunny and hot lately. I rained today, though, which was kind of nice. Rainy season doesn't really start for another month or 2 (late october).

Aloha, Tim
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Take a look at NiksaVel's post here. I think you may be onto something with the login info being different than what you thought it should be ... one key away or case difference.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ecd&t=1555
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

So you are at the login splash that is asking for your login information and you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the same time and you don't see a text based screen with the last two line of a text indicating a username (I'll assume it is ksteezy for you) - looks like this:

Linux Mint Cassandra ksteezy-desktop tty

ksteezy-desktop login:
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

so in tty you can type in your user name and then enter and you get the prompt for password, but you can't type anything in for password (all you will see are asterisks)? Or you can enter the password and then enter but .... ? then what?
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Hi, have you tried typing the password anyway and hitting enter? I think that the asterisks not showing is normal - I don't remember them showing when I login...
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

newW2 wrote:(all you will see are asterisks)?
Nope, he won't. :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

ksteezy wrote:then the password thing will show up, and its just blank and nothing I type shows up.
Of course not. Passwords are never echoed back. Never. Ever. Just type your password and hit the Enter key. :lol:
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

:wink:
Ha ha! I'm not a total amnesiac then.
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sorensei wrote: I'm not a total amnesiac then.
Nope, absolutely not. Your previous statement that it is normal for the console password dialogue to remain completely black when something is typed is absolutely correct.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Thanks for the correction Scorp and Sorensei. I don't know where I got the asterisks :oops: :oops: :oops: I must have been thinking of something else.

Ksteezy: I looked back at what the initial post was, and I have to wonder. What is happening at the normal mint login when you boot? You type in the user name and hit enter .... and then .... ?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

When using a text log-in you will not see anything when you type the password. That's normal. Just type the password and hit enter. It will look like you are not typing anything, but will work.

It's only from the GUI log-in you see the place filler characters.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

Hey, here comes a Linux nerd to the rescue. I'll provide you with a sure-fire step-by-step way of getting your brick operational again.

But, it involves the command line.

Grab your Mint Linux CD and put it in your drive. Boot from it. Log into it.

Now, do you know where you installed Mint? In Konqueror, under Storage Media, you should be able to find it. double-click the drive you installed Mint onto.

Now, press F4.

In the Konsole window that opens up, copy and paste this into it, line by line (in Konsole, Shift+Insert is paste):

Code: Select all

sudo su

mount -t proc none ./proc

mount -o bind /dev ./dev

chroot ./ /bin/bash

source /etc/profile

passwd root
Type a root password. You will not see anything on the screen as you type. This is normal, for security reasons.

Now, after that, keep typing exit until the Konsole window closes, and reboot into your installed Mint Linux. DON'T boot off of the CD.

Login as root, and immediately create a new user and log out as fast as possible. You don't want to use root for very long...

After you make your new user, open a Konsole window and type

sudo passwd -l root
to re-scramble the root password.[/code]

Return to “Other topics”