How to install plz help

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to install plz help

Postby jb14813 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:56 pm

i have downloaded a file that is a .tar.gz and i was wondering how to install it plz help
jb14813
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install plz help

Postby scorp123 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:05 am

jb14813 wrote:i have downloaded a file that is a .tar.gz and i was wondering how to install it plz help
What did you download and why didn't you use e.g. Synaptic and download/install things the proper way?

*.tar.gz Files are archives. TAR = Unix Tape Archive. GZ = GNU Zip format.

*.tar files are not compressed -- that's not its task, it's just supposed to hold the files together. So people usually add compression by gzip-ing, bzip2-ing a *.tar file which usually results in file endings such as *.tar.gz (gzip) or *.tar.bz2 (bzip2). Other file endings such as *.tar.Z and many others more are also possible, depending on what the creator of that *.tar file used to compress it.

As for installation ... as I said above: *.tar.gz Files are archives. So first step probably would be to unpack the file and take a look at what files you get. One of those probably is an installer script that will copy all the files to the right location. But many software packages also come in "self-contained" tar.gz packages which means: You unpack your archive wherever you want (e.g. into /opt? e.g. /opt/softwarepackage ...) and then it's already ready to go (e.g. by invoking /opt/softwarepackage/bin/nameofmainprogram ... ). The only task left to you would be to create yourself a launcher on the desktop or panel so you wouldn't have to type in this stuff into the terminal everytime you want to start that software.

BTW, again: What did you download? What are you trying to install? Usually there should be a 'README' either on the web site where you downloaded this from or then there usually is one inside the tar.gz file. I suggest you read that.

Also: Whatever you install via *.tar.gz files and compile yourself: It totally lives outside of the package manager (e.g. Synaptic, apt, etc.) so you can't get rid of it anymore via those automated mechanisms. You have to take notes about which file went where and then hunt them down manually. Such stuff is exactly the reason why people should use 'Synaptic' and install stuff this way.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby jb14813 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:19 am

i am trying to install xped which is basicly a skin that turns linux into zp
jb14813
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jb14813 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:26 am

ok i have read the install file and it wants me to extract the files into the ./usr/share folder however linux says i do not have the right permision to do that
jb14813
Level 1
Level 1

Postby calumc on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:00 am

if its a gtk skin: goto control centre> Theme> Install theme and point it to the tar.gz
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jb14813 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:04 am

no it is supose to change your desttop to look like windows xp

here is the installer:

General installation instructions:
-Decompress the tar.gz in /usr/share as root
-Edit the .xinitrc file of the user you want to run XPde and put this line:
/usr/share/xpde/bin/startxpde
-Start X

If you want to use another installation directory, just edit the startxpde script.

If you want to post specific installation instructions for any distro, please, use the forums.

Changes on this release:
-Finally the Start Menu has been included and the "desktop paradigm" is complete.
-Updated to the last unnoficial K3 patch
-A bug fixed updating desktop contents
-A bug fixed on the taskbar

How you can help?
-The project can be divided right now in:
*Desktop: The background with icons
*Window Manager: The part responsible to manage windows
*Taskbar: The area where tasks reside
*Start Menu: The menu that shows all the options to the user

The next release is going to be focused adding capabilities to the desktop, so if you want to help, just tell me which things do you want to get included.

Sorry to all the people has sent me an e-mail, I will try to answer as soon as possible.

Please, feel free to use the forums and mailing lists to post your comments.

Regards.
jb14813
Level 1
Level 1

Postby calumc on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:31 am

I see now, youre trying to install an entire DE or desktop envoirnment.
Someone else here might guide you through it but i wouldnt recommend doing it for a few reasons:
mint is streamlined for Gnome, mint KDE for KDE and XFCE for XFCE so installing this could lead to system resources being used inefficently and it probably requires other dependencies that you could spend days trying to find and install.
Also why wouldyou want it to look like XP? IMO everything looks a hell of a lot better with just beryl installed and you can skin that if its just the look that you want
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby scorp123 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:13 pm

jb14813 wrote:no it is supose to change your desttop to look like windows xp
Yuck! Why would you want *that* ? :roll:

Besides you got all the infos you need in those install instructions. Read them *precisely*.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics