Stored Wallpaper

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Stored Wallpaper

Postby cakehead on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:04 am

Can anyone tell me where the wallpaper files are stored so that I can add wallpaper to the list.
Thanks
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:10 am

I suppose you mean in your computer - not that you want to contribute to the artwork :)
Funny - I haven't even thought about where it's stored - but you don't have to know.
Just right click the desktop and select "Change wallpaper"
In the dialog that opens you have an option to add wallpaper
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lolo Uila on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:45 am

But if you really want to know, they are in /usr/share/backgrounds in the GNOME version. In the XFCE version it's /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops (although /usr/share/backgrounds works as well since there is a sym-link).

However, the easiest way to add is to do what Husse said in the post above for the GNOME version. In XFCE you right-click > Desktop Settings, and just click on the folder icon and point it to your own backgrounds.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cakehead on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:03 pm

Your right Husse, I don't have to know where the files are stored ! I asked because I wanted to know. As your signature says ' don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it ' I want to understand Linux and the best way to learn is to ask wouldn't you say ! I strive to be an expert some day lol. Thanks for the direct answer to my question Lola Uila, much appreciated.
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kenetics on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:44 pm

I think that's the only place to get rid of a bunch of old wallpapers without having to delete them individually through the Desktop Background Preferences window (a pain).
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:28 pm

My answer was partly the way it was because I did not know and did not have the time to check :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics