Stored Wallpaper

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Stored Wallpaper

Post by cakehead »

Can anyone tell me where the wallpaper files are stored so that I can add wallpaper to the list.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I suppose you mean in your computer - not that you want to contribute to the artwork :)
Funny - I haven't even thought about where it's stored - but you don't have to know.
Just right click the desktop and select "Change wallpaper"
In the dialog that opens you have an option to add wallpaper
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

But if you really want to know, they are in /usr/share/backgrounds in the GNOME version. In the XFCE version it's /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops (although /usr/share/backgrounds works as well since there is a sym-link).

However, the easiest way to add is to do what Husse said in the post above for the GNOME version. In XFCE you right-click > Desktop Settings, and just click on the folder icon and point it to your own backgrounds.

Aloha, Tim
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

Your right Husse, I don't have to know where the files are stored ! I asked because I wanted to know. As your signature says ' don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it ' I want to understand Linux and the best way to learn is to ask wouldn't you say ! I strive to be an expert some day lol. Thanks for the direct answer to my question Lola Uila, much appreciated.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I think that's the only place to get rid of a bunch of old wallpapers without having to delete them individually through the Desktop Background Preferences window (a pain).
Husse

Post by Husse »

My answer was partly the way it was because I did not know and did not have the time to check :)
friimynd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stored Wallpaper

Post by friimynd »

well, at least you admit to one of your reasons
i wanted to know because i want to modify the default lmde2 desktop background image; i like it with the colors inverted
this doesn't tell me where it is with mate, but i have a place to start looking

[edit: it is /usr/share/backgrounds/ ]
#sosfree
#fungusfree
#fluoridefree
#highcarbhannah

Return to “Other topics”