Synaptic

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Synaptic

Post by alan2273 »

I have just installed Celena, when I tried to use Envy it said dependencies were missing so I downloaded them and it worked, then I opened Synaptic package manager and this came up

E: Type ‘“deb’ is not known on line 39 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What do I have to do to correct this as it has me stumped.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Synaptic

Post by scorp123 »

alan2273 wrote: E: Type ‘“deb’ is not known on line 39 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What do I have to do to correct this as it has me stumped.
How about doing *exactly* as the error message tells you to? You see, error messages on Linux are pretty precise. No hexadecimal BS as in Windows. Linux tells you *precisely* where and what the problem is, OK? So let's read that error message of your's again and what does it say? ==> Line 39 of your /etc/apt/sources.list is corrupted. So whatever entry is there on line 39 ... it's wrong.

:idea: So how about posting that file here so we could take a look? :wink:

We'll then help you with the "correct the problem" part the error message mentions :wink:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Maybe It could be that the problem comes from the word deb. In the message we can see:
‘“deb'.... not known :wink:
If you have really this kind of punctuation in line 39 of your /etc/apt/sources.list I advise you to remove it. Just: deb or deb-src are correct not ‘“deb’
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

linuxviolin wrote:Maybe It could be that the problem comes from the word deb. In the message we can see:
‘“deb'.... not known :wink:
If you have really this kind of punctuation in line 39 of your /etc/apt/sources.list I advise you to remove it. Just: deb or deb-src are correct not ‘“deb’
Maybe there are more errors. And he probably copy & pasted that line from somewhere. That's why I'd prefer if he posted the entire file instead of "repairing" just that line ...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

scorp123 wrote:That's why I'd prefer if he posted the entire file instead of "repairing" just that line ...
yes of course, me too :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

The problem is solved.
I always use a CDRW to download to and it seems as if they have gone to the dogs, i have had them for 5 years.
As soon as i put it onto a DVDRW all the problems went.

Return to “Other topics”