I solved it
1) Booted Mint into Recovery mode, got Internet connection through TP-cable.
2) Walked into the /home/user_name directory and wrote chown user_name .ICEauthority
look the at the permission with ls -l .ICEauthority - I was the owner.
3) Looked into the DPKG.log in /var/logs to see what was removed my the MintUpdate app. (Not the aptitude logfile)
4) In Terminal, install the missing packages, (for me Gnome-session, network-manager-gnome, gnome-volume-manager, gnome-power-manager)
5) Had some problem with HAL that wouldn't start corecctly, installed LYNX (terminal webbrowser)
6) HAL started Ok now, (don't ask me why or how)
7) Rebooted into normal mode. Could now login and everything looked as before. I write this on Mint again - Hurray!!!
I'm happy again. Hope this works for others.